My handmade leather craft.

smurv

Retro Newbie
Part of you know some of my leather work from this bike:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=301518

Some time ago i did recovery for my saddle. I bought some thread and leather. It was nothing special but works fine until today.

DSCF6826.jpg

DSCF6819.jpg

It was for me a great fun to make it. So i decided to read about leatherwork. Now, i make everything by my hands. Cut, dye finish, and all is made from vegetable-tanned leather and stainless steel.

This is results of 3 years my work on some standards bicycle product:

53fd95a04caa9.jpg

53fd95adee00c.jpg

53fd95a62911d.jpg

53fd95aa3b160.jpg

But the fact is that the most interesting thing will be custom made:

It's full rebuild, shell make from hardened leather, stitched by hand
535795daf10a4.jpg

535795dc2765b.jpg

I will update this thread with new works :).

Re:

Oddly enough, I have just ordered some leather to make up a couple of mud flaps as a first project so I am hardly going to be in competition, but that’s inspiring!

Re:

Can I be a bit cheeky and suggest that somebody called the Polish Panto Butcher might be able to help you with a special decorative finish...

Only kidding :facepalm:

I like the look of that, the saddle especially! I have a few saddle lined up for recovering, but only have fake leather and am not planning on stitching anything.

Can I ask where you got the leather from, and if it was expensive? And what sort of thread, needle, etc did you use for the stitching?

thanks!

Re:

Thx Foz. I will post some recovering without stitching too.

I'm located in Poland, so i take all supplies from "neighborhood". Of course if it is possible. Leather bar tape is machine shewing. All others is hand made. Materials - in UK is much more shops etc to make big order, may be try www.abbeyengland.com... tandy leather is leatherworks "discounts" but i don't recommend them

Leather - polish tannery
Thread - i use "CT Point" from Italy (polyester), and starting using most classic line thread from France "Fil Au Chinois" but it's extremely expensive - used by Hermes Paris ...

Re: Re:

PurpleFrog":zscnfxrq said:
Terrific work - especially the "brogue" saddle. I love the bar tape too!

Strangely I thought I could almost smell leather coming off the computer when I saw that.

Back