1970s Carlton International

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
Hello - am still learning about the world of retrobikes, looking for a retro racer and have had the offer of a Carlton International from the early 70s for £20. The frame is white with red and green stripes. However it's quite rusty.

I know Carlton have quite a following, and were absorbed into Raleigh, and that Carltons are considered by many to be superior.

Does anyone know where the International stood in the Carlton range - would it have been made from Reynolds lightweight tubing, or gas pipes? Is it worth buying it to have it stripped and resprayed?

Many thanks,
Drew

For twenty quid just buy it and then work out what you have :). International was earlier than the seventies with fancy lugs.

Shaun

Ah, if only it were that simple. I've also got the offer of a Fondriest bike for £85, which is ready to ride now, and a limited amount of space. And weight is a big factor...

Here's a photo of it, which is pretty much all I have to go on. Plus it's in the East Midlands and I'm in Manchester.

Attachments

• carlton.JPG
    carlton.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 491
This International dates from around 1970 and is only painted in the colour scheme which Carlton called 'International colours'. Its not high end but as I always say, well worth preserving and tidying up. I would';t spend loads on it but I would keep the original finish and clean up and make the whole machine look presentable.

Just out of interest, what were the higher-end Carltons? Just in case one crosses my path and I don't realise what it is...

Your Carlton is one of perhaps 50.000 made by Raleigh in the year. The design was limited by legally having to leave a large gap between pedal and front wheel, so most continentals ride better, even if made of sinilar cheap heavy tubes.
Keith

DrewSavage":366zd80l said:
Just out of interest, what were the higher-end Carltons? Just in case one crosses my path and I don't realise what it is...

Well there is the Contra la Montre (think that spelling is correct) for starters. The Professional in the team colours is another.

keithglos":1jcyded3 said:
Your Carlton is one of perhaps 50.000 made by Raleigh in the year. The design was limited by legally having to leave a large gap between pedal and front wheel, so most continentals ride better, even if made of sinilar cheap heavy tubes.
Keith

Always there to piss on someone's parade. You may be very knowledgeable about bicycles but FFS why don't you say something nice and positive for once???? :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back