Carlton Professional - Seat bolt snap

alien303

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I have two questions.
1. The seat bolt has snapped on my Carlton and I can't seem to get the pieces out of the frame (just the snapped part of the allen key bolt is out). There are a lips on the rest of the two sides of the bolt that won't allow them to come out of the eyelet on the frame. I don't fancy drilling it, any other suggestions?
2. Once I get it out any ideas where I can get a replacement bolt that is in keeping with the bike.

I can send pictures to show more detail.

Not looked at my Pro for a while but think it's had a two piece Campag allen key seat bolt in it.........the female part is held in place by some serrations. Pics would help :)

Shaun

Re:

I hope I've not destroyed a campag seat bolt. I will put some pictures up tomorrow. I tried earlier, but with the camera I was using and poor light really wasn't worth sending.

Just had a quick look at my 1982 Pro and it has a simple threaded allen key bolt...........

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Here we go. Apologies for the poor ordering, should be Carlton first then bolt etc. The pics are back to front.

Pic 1 - Shows the 'cups' from above
Pic 2 - Shows the 'cups' from the back. The left side cup fits the head of the allen key bolt, where the righthand side is the nut part where the bolt (male) fits into (female). Right hand cup has the rest of the broken bolt still in.
Pic 3 - The snapped allen key bolt.
Pic 4 - My Carlton professional circa late 70s. With Sach Huret gears and Campag Record brakes.

The brown residue on the frame (see pic 2) is just copper grease.

Although you can't see from the picture, and would be hard to take with camera I using, the cups have lips which sit inside of the bolt holding part of the frame.

Attachments

• Carlton.jpg
    Carlton.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 602
  • bolt 2.jpg
    bolt 2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 602
  • From back.jpg
    From back.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 602
  • from above.jpg
    from above.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 602
Robbied196":2uo5paw7 said:
It sounds like you'll be needing one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEATPOST-CLAM ... 3a8dc596ff

Best to do your own search and check you are buying the right width. I'm not sure why the old one won't come out though, so we need piccys :)

Thanks. I had a quick look yesterday and spotted those. I need ro make sure I get all the right sizes. Still getting my head round all the dimensions for everything for this bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back