Uniglide

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Trying to help a mate do up a nice bike, he bought some minty Shimano tricolour 6400 wheels, but the free hub has equal sized splines so I assume Uniglide? can the free hub assembly be changed for a modern type? he need to run 8 speed, also the wheel will need to be respaced to 130...any of this possible or is he better off selling them on and rebuying?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bikenut2010":34x0wiq2 said:
Trying to help a mate do up a nice bike, he bought some minty Shimano tricolour 6400 wheels, but the free hub has equal sized splines so I assume Uniglide? can the free hub assembly be changed for a modern type? he need to run 8 speed, also the wheel will need to be respaced to 130...any of this possible or is he better off selling them on and rebuying?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

It could well be HG and UG compatible given the era - I once had a pair of touring wheels with late-80s 105 (so of a similar vintage to tricolour 600) hubs which I used with an 8sp HG-type cassette on the rear, but said hub had a threaded portion on the freehub body to accommodate UG blocks too.

David

Re:

Hi Dave the splines are all equal but the modern cassette has one lug on the sprockets which is wider than the rest... So it won't slide on :(

Re:

I think that the UG/HG compatable hub had a thread on both the outside and inside.

The outside thread was for the UG sprockets and the internal thread was for the HG sprockets. If the thread is on the outside of the barrel only then you've got a UG hub.

Re: Re:

bugloss":xc4vsv1a said:
I think that the UG/HG comparable hub had a thread on both the outside and inside.

The outside thread was for the UG sprockets and the internal thread was for the HG sprockets.

I should've made that clearer in my last post when I mentioned the threading, thanks for the extra info.

David

Brilliant info folks, from what I gather, one removes the axel then the uniglide free hub can be removed with a 10mm allen wrench and replaced with a HG, with the wheel dished and spacers moved to fit a130 frame dropout ? :)

I guess that's the way forward, or why not try getting a 7401/2 HG Dura Ace 8 speed hub/wheelset which are already spaced to a 130mm rear.
They are excellent hubs and will last for many many miles.

More guff on the UG/HG hub.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

bikenut2010":qv9pjaob said:
Brilliant info folks, from what I gather, one removes the axel then the uniglide free hub can be removed with a 10mm allen wrench and replaced with a HG, with the wheel dished and spacers moved to fit a130 frame dropout ? :)

You've got it in one :) I asked the same question in the post the Midlife has linked to. I swapped out a 6 speed Uniglide for a 7 speed Hyperglide, because the cassette was more compact I didn't even need to redish the wheel.

Latest posts

Back