Indentification of an old Raleigh, now found out!

matty waters

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

I've had this bike frame in my shed for a couple of years now, t was given to me by my dads friend after he picked it out of a skip, after a couple of google's of what it says on the frame I found no more information on it and gave up. Now after cleaning out the shed I want to know more about the bike, I have posted a link to some photos of the bike and any information on the bike would be very helpful.

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Matty ... t=3&page=1
I have looked at the number on the seat tube of the bike but it seems to have not been in printed properly, I have a few numbers it could possibly be:

NS5098682
NS5088682
NS5008682

The reason for this is that the 3rd number is only half pressed and makes the top half of the number which looks like an unturned U. You can kind of this this in the image where all numbers are prominent and the one I can't read is only half visible, I have taken a rubbing on the number too, and there is literally no impression the bottom half of the number.

Thanks for looking,
Looking forward to finding out more so I can look into restoring it!
Matty Waters

The 'N' is Nottingham. The 'S' is December. The next digit '0' would be 1980. The rest of the numbers are the frame serial number. As the gear change levers are on with a clamp and not braize-ons, this would indicate it is no later than 83 onwoards as the braze-ons were used from the mid(ish) 80's. The serial number is on the seat tube and this placing was used from 1973 - 1982. This is what I have found out about serial numbers. You cannot find out what the model is from serial numbers though.

Back