samz

Dirt Disciple
At the ripe old age of 50 (and a half) I have got myself my first "racer".
Tis a 1978 (if I've dated it correctly) Carlton Corsair. Now would be a good time to insert a pic, but being a technophobe I don't how! :oops:
Decent nick for 35yo but it's in need of abit of TLC. New head bearings required and the rear wheel is out of true. Is that the same as buckled to us old gits? :? Can these wheels be straightend because the chrome is good and I like to keep it original if poss? Where do you guys get spares from? I'm up in York, any good spares shops around here?
I appreciate the bike isn't worth alot, ( but I didn't buy it so I could say " I've got a vintage racer and it'd worth a bomb! :roll: ) I just want a solid reliable bike that will be ridden!! :shock:
Any tips/advice appreciated.

Sam.

The Corsair is a decent bike and should be a very useable and reliable bike once it's fettled. is it brown with a light brown headtube?

If the rim isn't bent (or at least not badly) you should be able to get the wheel trued up for around £10.

Are you sure it needs head bearings? I would clean and grease all the bearings (headset, bottom bracket and wheels- and the pedals if they dismantle easily but don't try and open up the freewheel) before riding it anyway, it completely transforms a bike.

I tend to get spares from eBay or on here but you shouldn't need too many bits tbh.

Welcome Sam.

I have been riding mtb's on and off for years, but had never owned a 'racer' until last year when at the age of 53 my (roadie fanatic) son persuaded me to get one. You have a whole world of fun and games in front of you.

As has already been said, spares can be found on ebay for surprisingly small sums if you are careful, and also in the for sale section here. There are many hugely experienced people on this forum and all of them will be pleased to offer advice and help. As far as the wheel is concerned it may well straighten, depending on how out of true it is and what condition the spokes and nipples are in. It is pretty easy to do yourself, have a google search and a look on youtube, if you don't fancy it, find a good old fashioned proper bike shop.

Take look in the readers bikes section, there are some great builds and restorations in there which will confuse and inspire in equal measure.

Lastly, your first racer will not be your last, I guarantee that once the bug has bitten there is no going back. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies guys.
I spent a couple on enjoyable hours tinkering this aft. Turns out the head bearings are ok, it just needed the whole lot tightening up. Wasn't even finger tight!! Had the brakes apart, cleaned and polished (oily rag type polish :LOL: ) They seem ok, might look into fitting new cables. Half chrome front forks came up a treat! :D
The wheels had a little but of surface rust but these polished up amazingly well. Make, SL HURMANN??( I think, will have to check again) Made in W Germany so guessing they are replacements? Tomorrow I'll take the rear one to see if it can be salvaged if not to buckled.
Pleased with the way it's coming along, nothing seized or knackered. Abit more elbow grease and it should be looking fine. :cool:
Note to self: suss out how to add pics on here! :oops:

Is Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op still in York? They might be as good as anyone to help you. Otherwise there are plenty of Yorkshire based RB members around.

"this aft"........"un"........sounds like a Yorkshire twang Mr Samz :)

Corsair launched 1978 in Harrogate. Nice bikes BITD, was called a Demi-Course to make it sort of half way between a racing bike and a tourer.

What wheel did you go for?

Shaun

Midlife":tkj2wlr1 said:
"this aft"........"un"........sounds like a Yorkshire twang Mr Samz :)

Corsair launched 1978 in Harrogate. Nice bikes BITD, was called a Demi-Course to make it sort of half way between a racing bike and a tourer.

What wheel did you go for?

Shaun

Aye, Yorkshire indeed.

BITD?? :oops:
How do you know about the launch in Harrogate? I wouldn't mind knowing abit of history about the make/model.

Not sure what the wheel it is, left it to a mate at the local bike shop to source. He's gonna swap the tyre and cogs (old fashioned term no doubt :roll: ) for me too.

BITD (Back In The Day) I worked at Cliff Pratt Cycles in Hull and we sold them.....Always have a soft spot for Carlton's. I have a Carlton Flyer from the 70's in the garage stripped down ready for refinishing :)

I should have an original Cycling Magazine from 1978 with the first of the adverts, I'll scan it and post it up.

Make sure you get a new chain as the old chain won't work well on the new freewheel (Cogs).

Cheers

Shaun

Back