Peugeot triathlon Seat post problem

danbrad2000

Dirt Disciple
Hey Guys,

Ive just got this bike in to restore and its the first time ive come accross a seat post like this. Basically it screws into some kind of star nut or equivilent in the frame. I need to get the seat post up higher but as it is there's no room for adjustment. Does anyone know where i could get a larger seat post or if there is another option on a different seat post design. Ive added a few pictures below.

Thanks!

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 561
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 561
  • 20131126_152617.jpg
    20131126_152617.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 561
  • 20131126_152612.jpg
    20131126_152612.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 561
Is that object in the frame not the expander for the seat post? Rather like how a quill stem stays in the frame? Difficult to see from the pic. Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It does look like an expander bolt, although I've not seen it used on a seat post before. A bit of French innovation :) does the base of the seat post have a split for the expanded to work? I'd screw it back in slightly and hit it with a hammer, hopefully the whole lot will pull back out. If you clean the tube and grease you may find it adjusts ok.

My Moser Leader has a quill type seat post (well it did until the frame got damaged).... :)

can you screw the bolt (out of the seat post) down into the object in the seat tube and tap it so it moves?

Shaun

yeah i thought it would be a quill type but the seat post has no split in it to expand, it has a kind of ledge in the frame where turning the bolt brings the post tight. Ive managed to get it moving in the frame now but now cant get the bot to screw in as there is no resistance, doh!

I think the ledge piece you can see needs to come out followed by the expander. The ledge piece will have a split in it, so the expander pushes into it and locks the seatpost. I'd try a good soak in plus gas and a coat hanger to try and hook it out.

Awesome ive just about got the ledge out. It was split like you said. The expander iswell and truely jammed but ive pushed it down out of the way. Any idea where I can get a rreplacement or even a quilled type seat post?

Can you push it right down out of the bottom bracket..........quill seast posts of the correct size are few and far between and can cost an arm and a leg :(

Shaun

Back