8 speed campagnolo

kbmpi

Retro Guru
Hello.

I've a nice, recently overhauled-greased-trued campy 8spd wheelset with Athena hubs possibly from 1996? The hubs spin great, had no issues with them at all, after cca. 2k miles ridden on them.

The main issue is with my brifters. They're a bit worn, esp. the left's internals seems to be a bit tired, ie.: sometimes the front derailleur spontaneusly drops to the smaller chainring.

8spd campy brifters are hard to come by, though I've recently bought a pair of chorus on ebay for .. cheap:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Campagnolo-Choru ... AQ:FR:1123

but I've already sold them, cause I had intentions to finally brake up with 8spd campy.

Because the hubs-wheels are just great, and the cassette is virtually new, I had the idea to use 9spd shifters on the 8spd rear block.

I know that it won't work with campy rear mechs, but as I recall, 9 spd campy shifters with shimano rear mech works flawlessly on 7 spd shimano cassettes, which are.. essentially has the same spacing as 8 spd campagnolo.

thereby with a 9spd campagnolo shifter and shimano rear mech the shifting would be nearly perfect on an 8spd campagnolo block. (minus 1 click, of course..)

Has anyone tried that setup yet? 9 speed mirage brifters are f.. cheap, or I can get veloce-daytona too. Probably the post-2000 style shifters, which pull the same amount of cable per click as 7 speed shimano. So with them the setup should be spot on on the 8 spd campagnolo cassette..

opinions-ideas ;)

The spring that stops the front mech from self shifting is replaceable (P-spring?). Try Google for instructions and suppliers.

I think that will work, provided they are 20th Century 9 speed (pre-2001). Later 9 speed has a different cable pull.

Back