Holdsworth 'little blue book' of cycle parts...??

I remember turning up for a Sunday club run very early 70's (probably '72) soon after I moved to Wakefield and clubmate was there with his bike - fitted with what must have been the first version of the then very new Campag brakes. I think they cost £20 a set, a lot of money back then, nearly a week's wages for some - including me! My Weinmann 500's still stopped me just as well as his!

I always thought the introduction of Campag single pivot side pull brakes around 1969 was a backward step from the centre pulls available at the time. For stopping power Mafac Racers had plenty of power and compared to Campag the Mafac system had a much lighter action.

The price of Campag brakes in the 70's make a Record double chainset with b/b look an absolute bargain.

John.

Just remembered that I have a good selection of Aids dating from 50's, 60's and 70's in my files. Can't remember where I got them from though!

Looking at '63 reminded me that when I was a lad of 15/16 I ordered one of these 'Maestro DeLuxe' tracksuits -

Going by the illustration, I was certain, that on receipt of this wondrous garment, I would have been immediately transformed from a gawky bespectacled schoolboy to a svelt and sophisticated international track star. The reality was that, on me, nothing could have been further from the truth. Rather than the figure hugging streamlined garment shown and despite Holdsworth's statement that baggy suits were no longer offered, it was baggy and ill-fitting and a rather severe dissapointment. It did however, reinforce my Mother's strongly held opinion that buying anything mail-order was always bound to lead to tears!

Attachments

• 63_p26.jpg
    63_p26.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 171
I must have been privileged, then, to have a bright blue Lutz tracksuit.

Until it melted when I had a slide down the road after hitting a pothole. :(

My mum cut out some letters in white cloth and sewed LUTZ across the bottom of my cheap cycling shorts :)

Back