Shimano 105 7-Speed - upgrade path ?

shakedown

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Gents,
I'm struggling to maintain my shifters : I've got very long travel distance on the down shifts and the upshift is unreliable / stiff / prone to seize . Have I got a sensible replacement option without new wheels ? These have a triple chainring which I wouldn't mind losing.

Give the shifters a good blast through with WD40. The grease gets stiff which causes sticking. The effect is almost magical.

Re:

Sometimes it's happened. I think you can replace. If it does not work, can change the entire groupset. If you’re looking to move for a higher up Shimano’s road range then change the groupset. Purchasing an entire groupset gives you peace of mind and everything is designed to work perfectly again. Also, buying the whole groupset less costly than buying individual components.

One other point is to replace your cables and outers. Again many problems that appear to be shifters (too heavy, unresponsive) are oten sticking cables. Older sets often have the inner cable cut its way into the outer's lining round bends.

@smith931 A new groupset would require new wheels as 7 speed freehub bodies are narrower than 8/9/10 and 11 speed needs a fractionally wider set to 8/9/10.

Thanks Gents , I'm going to get through February ( on the middle ring only ) and then complete strip down in March ready for the nice weather ...

hamster":3i030lj1 said:
@smith931 A new groupset would require new wheels as 7 speed freehub bodies are narrower than 8/9/10 and 11 speed needs a fractionally wider set to 8/9/10.

Not necessarily. BITD I went 8 speed on my Deore DX hubs and on my 105SC hubs by buying 2 Ultegra 6400 freehub bodies and swapping them with the 7 speed freehub bodies.

I then removed the fat washer on the non drive side of the hub.

I re-dished the wheel in the old fashioned way by turning the drive side spoke nipples one flat tighter and slackening the non drive side one flat looser starting and finishing at the valve until the wheel sat squarely in the frame.

Saves getting a new hub and rebuilding the wheel. Unless you want to.

Cheers.

FWIW I took my 7 speed 100RX to 8 speed and only changed the (indexed) shifters, freehub, cassette and chain. At the time I didn't re-dish the wheel and might get round to in one day. Sheldon Brown has the gen.
And I echo other comments about new cables, outers and degrease/re-lube the other components.

Back