Armstrong Apologises During the Tour

Re:

The best thing he can do for the sport is keep well away from it . Along with vinokourov , even as a manager - which in itself sems hypocritical IMO - , valverde and any other cheat . Any success by those riders stinks whether they're clean NOW or not

Mike

Re:

tis true indeed he was a cheat.but what of all the other's who were made to take their medicine or catch the train home.what about all the officials who turned a blind eye.it would seem to be an end of an era.perhaps one day we will know exactly what he took in training or even in recreation im sure he and shania cosumed more than fruit juice
elite athlete,criminal genious or just plain dodgy b----rd ?

Re:

He was already an elite athlete . Before cancer he was an elite athlete. Verbruggen doesn't come out of this very well either , if the evidence given in the documentaries is anything to go by . What of Christophe Bassons , who was intimidated into giving up on a break by Armstrong IN A STAGE OF THE TOUR NO LESS ! having spoken out against doping . We will probably never know who was completely clean in the peloton , but we must be thankful to those who stood up against doping . For they started the ball rolling towards a cleaner sport for future cycling and that can only be a good thing .
As an aside , did M. Ferrari get convicted ? I honestly don't know .

Mike

Re:

BTW, the video is a skit from the Belgian TV tour report programme.
It was done by a Belgian impersponator/comedian. They were a bit freaked
out that people were so easily taken in by it.

This was second only to the moment when Vinokourov said of Astana,
"We are a clean team, we don't use doping". Short memory, Mr Vinokourov?

Re: Re:

Johnsqual":5maddqx4 said:
BTW, the video is a skit from the Belgian TV tour report programme.
It was done by a Belgian impersponator/comedian. They were a bit freaked
out that people were so easily taken in by it.

Then again, in spite of the blidingly obvious doping offences commited, the TdF crowds* are only to happy so give Richard Virenque a warm welcome when he drives past in the publicity caravan. Funny old lot, Joe Public....

David

*Well, the majority. My own reaction whilst stood in York city centre a couple of weeks back was pure disbelief.

I have never been and never will be an Armstrong fan but, lest we forget

Anquetil doped ... and bragged about it
Simpson doped ... and died of it
Merckx doped ... and got done for it (3 times if I remember right)
Zoetemelk doped ... and got done for it
Agostinho doped ... and got done for it
and Pantani et al have not even been mentioned...
and the list could go on ... and on ... and on

If the rights be known, all those who have not been done were more than likely never clean, either in the 60s, 70s, 80s or whatver decade one chooses to look at - the only difference is with regard to what was considered performance enhancing in 1914 and what is performance enhancing in 2014

My personal belief is that we can forget clean professional cycling - those that may be clean are probably those that place from 75 and downwards, irrespective of what the UCI and other institutions are able to uncover.

That said, the spectacle of cycling - and especially the Grand Tours - is no less fascinating.

Enjoy the circus - if the clown enjoys speed and the ringmaster enjoys coke, so be it :D

peter wilens doped and won a stage,alp duez.this must have boosted sales for koga miyata !
one of the irony's is that lance armstrong probably generated more bike sales than any one.
but not hero to zero ..hes probably got some cash stashed and people will always want to know what life is like for him.
as for controle,stamping your authority on the peleton thats been done by some one before him.

oonaff":1omonf5x said:
peter wilens doped and won a stage,alp duez.this must have boosted sales for koga miyata !
one of the irony's is that lance armstrong probably generated more bike sales than any one.
but not hero to zero ..hes probably got some cash stashed and people will always want to know what life is like for him.
as for controle,stamping your authority on the peleton thats been done by some one before him.

As for the last point , not by someone with such obviously transparent motives .
I would imagine that in the UK at least , ride to work schemes , and Wiggins success in the Tour and Olympics may have had more effect . Globally , maybe you're right though .
I can't imagine him scraping to make a living at all TBH But I would like to see him working in a shop , just so I can tell him what an a--hole I think he is . Just my opinion

i agree he is a bit of a raving egotistical lune.i dropped out of interest in the tour when he won them so thankfully have no embarassing memories of elation and cheering :LOL:
i was surfing u tube a while back , and viewed when he and pantani had their not so epic duel mont ventoux i looked at his face and eyes so focused in a kind of a trance like state but because they were both bang on it,it was just fake and empty, soul less,so to speak.and rite at the end he lets pantani win.

Back