Which way do you swing ?

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Front mech that is. Top or bottom.

And, why is there two types.(assuming you don't include bottom pull and top pull). Can you fit either, or do some frames only take a top or bottom swing.

Personal preference is top pull top swing....Keeps the cable out of harms way for a start whilst keeping the length to a minimum too

Im sure there will be a flaw to my logic somewhere :?

The more direct route for the front mech cable is along the downtube. No sharp turns from the top tube down onto the seat tube
This will no doubt mean a bottom pull mech. Once the cable is settled in, properly stretched, etc I think it provides a better changing action to the mech with there being less friction between the inner and outer cables.

It is more prone to damage though

I agree - the routing is totally dependent on frame construction, unless you want to go crazy with zip ties.

I wonder why certain manufacturers chose differing options or indeed why established manufacturers have changed their cable routing, GT is one example, in the past predominantly downtube and now toptube :?:

front mech

No brainer, top pull bottom swing, shimano think this is the best, so no point in arguing, what they don't know about drivetrains is not worth bothering with.
These mechs are tucked well out the way, don't clash with bottle cage bosses, which top swing often do! They look far neater and pull is lighter. I've snapped more downtube cables thn top tube over the years.

The reason for asking, is that my 2 GT's have one top and one bottom swing front mechs currently fitted.

The Zaskar is currently sporting an LX bottom swing (which I prefer the look of) but I also have a very nice top swing XT,that I could also fit.

I can see why top/bottom pull is specific to the frame ( love bottom pull, makes more sence to me) , but why ever did shimano complicate things my making top/bottom swing models as well( and why now is bottom swing less popular on new bikes ?)

swingers

Bottom swing is more flexy and a lot of seat tube bottle cage bosses are right where the band needs to be. Top swing is hidden out of the way behind the chain wheels and looks neater too.

The answer is hub gears. :p
Interestingly (well I think it's interestingly), you can't run a Sturmey Archer cable along the downtube because it can ghost shift, which proves what Wold Ranger says.
Aesthetically, I dunno. :?: I'm inclined to say top swing for mountain bikes, but frankly many mountain bikes are fugly. There is a wonderful purity in downtube shifters on a road bike.

Back