Name the year: Cannondale M800

smurfario

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

A fairly recent lurker deciding to do the decent thing and write, spurred on by curiosity about this M800. I usually ride an Orbea road bike but am dabbling with getting an older used MTB - I have a 1998 Klein Pulse Race possibly lined up ($320 - I'm a Brit in the US), or there's this Cannondale ($200, before negotiation ;) ). Thing is, I cannot find any info on it - it looks old school (what's with the big gap between top tube and the down tube on the headset?!?!) and it claims to be a M800, but beyond that I know nothing. It's cheaper than the Klein, so its worth exploring.

Can anyone help?

J

P.S - what a great website! I came across it trying to research other older MTBs I was looking at and it the most nostalgic experience - I remember in the early to mid-90s getting tingly feelings in my nether regions at my mate's Kona Kilauea (or Killer Whale as we called it for some reason). Anyway...

Attachments

• 1241110671941.JPEG
    1241110671941.JPEG
    18.3 KB · Views: 780
  • 1241110693120.JPEG
    1241110693120.JPEG
    9.9 KB · Views: 780
Hmm - no dice in the catalogue. Btw, someone must be really dedicated to the cause to keep the old catalogues, scan them and then upload them. Brings a tear to the eye, such dedication. Roy Castle would be proud.

Anyway, no luck there. The top tube/down tube gap is nowhere to be seen on the M800 in the brochure, though the "M800" stencilling is similar. The hunt continues...

J

1993 you say - you may well be right!

Mr Google has turned up this pic. A 1992 M800 it reckons. Blue frame with pinky M800 logo, like the one in the advert.

Do we think it is the same? Probably. And forgive the idiocy, but is the gap I've mentioned a function of the frame being big? The bloke selling it didn't specify a size (although I've just asked) but given utahdog's comment, I'm wondering if its a monster! He also reckons its only 8 years old, but surely not?

And does circa $200 represent good value for this?! Or am I better off with the 1998 Klein Pulse Race (all stock, so far as I can tell, see link below) for $320? Man, I should stick to fine Basque speed machines ;)

http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp357/petebarbosa/?action=view&current=DSC_2423.jpg

Attachments

• 1992M800BeastoftheEast1.jpg
    1992M800BeastoftheEast1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 729
smurfario":35jha1ur said:
1993 you say - you may well be right!

Mr Google has turned up this pic. A 1992 M800 it reckons. Blue frame with pinky M800 logo, like the one in the advert.

Do we think it is the same? Probably. And forgive the idiocy, but is the gap I've mentioned a function of the frame being big? The bloke selling it didn't specify a size (although I've just asked) but given utahdog's comment, I'm wondering if its a monster! He also reckons its only 8 years old, but surely not?

And does circa $200 represent good value for this?! Or am I better off with the 1998 Klein Pulse Race (all stock, so far as I can tell, see link below) for $320? Man, I should stick to fine Basque speed machines ;)

http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp357/petebarbosa/?action=view&current=DSC_2423.jpg

I'm not a fan of the mre recent Klein stuff, so somebody else can comment there... :D

The year I quoted is a hamfisted typo on my part. I meant to say that the bike you posted (and by extension, the second frame you found on Google), are 1992 models. My current Beast is a 1993. Difference is the switch to threadless headset instead of the quill style on the 1992.

That bike is an XL, 22" frame. You should be north of 6'4" or so to ride a bike that big. :shock: The headtube ( the space between the top tube and the down tube you mention) is the indicator for size of these sloping top tube frames. (Your Google find is an 18".) This one is huge, but if you are huge, and it's complete and functional, $200 isn't bad. You might deal down a little because of it's size...not too many people can ride that thing! :D

Good Luck!

Utahdog, thank you. I subsequently got a reply from the guy selling it about the size. Turns out he is 6'8" :shock:.

Now, I'm not saying I'm not huge ;) but I'm certainly not tall enough to ride that thing. Looks like I'll be passing on that one. But thank you for the knowledge.

J

Good catch. 6'8" makes sense for that bike. I'm 6'2" and I ride a 20" M800.

If you like M800s, they are pretty common even today, just keep your eyes peeled. :D

Indeed a '92 M800. In the Netherlands often sold in '93.
Love the deep blue colour and the purple bits.

Latest posts

Back