HS33 hoses

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi folks,

I have a single HS33 EVO2 that I want to run on the rear so need a longer hose. A friend was putting a CRC order together recently so I sent him the link to tag one on to the order. However, said link offers two options, one specified for all rim brakes and the Julie disk, and another for all disks other than Julie. Being a numpty I forgot to specify the one I wanted so he went and ordered the disk one - mainly because it was the only one of the two that was in stock.

Is it possible to use this apparently disk-specific hose in my rim brake? I emailed Maggie's tech support and they gave me an emphatic "No", along with some tech talk about high vs low pressure systems. Annoyingly, CRC have been out of stock of the rim brake hose for ages and no longer even have a restock date for it by now.

(Incidentally, I can't see how the pressure differential between the two can be vast and that the plastic hoses would therefore differ greatly, but I'm no hydraulics expert ...)

Any opinions? Is it worth a try, or is the disk hose designed not to fit into a rim brake?

Cheers, Gareth.

I think the hoses are different diameter, which can affect pressure required when in use. The HS33's are low pressure in a sealed system, where some discs are higher pressure with either closed or open systems.
Why not upgrade to the braided lines available on CRC. They are easy to set up, as you just screw them in the caliper. No need for olives! Of course they will need bleeding the same.

The two hoses are completely different in both structure and fitting.

The rim brake hose is, basically, just a plastic tube. The disc hose, on the other hand, is very similar to a Hope hose. It has a plastic outer and a smaller diameter inner. The barbed fittings for the disc hose are much smaller than the ones on the rim brake hose. That plus the fact that you have to use olives on the disc hose and the pitch of the thread on the fittings is different.

You might be able to fit it but it'll take a lot of messing about and you couldn't be certain that the hose wouldn't leak.

It's easier and less hassle to just get the correct parts (a lot safer too).

As other have said it may well not fit - but it won't affect the pressure as it's a sealed hydraulic system and the hoses should be resistant to bulging under pressure.

Thanks for all the responses, and particularly for the above link. It looks like the disk-hose I have goes back to CRC then.

One more question. I have a Marta front disk brake which will be paired up (eventually!) with the HS33 on the rear. Do I need different bleed kits for the two, or will the HS33 one I have work ok with the Marta?

Thanks again, Gareth.

garethrl":37rbtfu9 said:
One more question. I have a Marta front disk brake which will be paired up (eventually!) with the HS33 on the rear. Do I need different bleed kits for the two, or will the HS33 one I have work ok with the Marta?

They use two different bleeding kits so you'll need one for the Marta and one for the HS33. They use the same oil though. :)

Back