Tange Switchblades: what was the point

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just bought a very nice Tange Switchblades, maybe overpaying it (70 euros with a flexstem and an lx derailleur).
I've always liked it so I just got it. BTW: it weights a ton (1kilo 200 grams) and it doesn't seem too supple: what was the point of compostite forks apart from looking terribly cool? Tire clearance?

Second: this one has two little hearts welded on the inside of the legs, probably to centre the brake pivots correctly (the point of the heart must align with the internal gap in the crown). Is it a normal feature or is it a sign of destiny?

Had a set of Switchblades on my old Clockwork and liked them, though they were an impulse buy, they do ride quite harsh though but probably no worse than any other straight blade fork.

I think the main advantage may be looks as you say, also the ability to swap the legs seperate from the crown should anything happen to them.

I could be wrong but I thought the dimples on the inside of the legs were there to stop the legs being inserted too far into the crown ?

legrandefromage said:
Its the looks man! Whats wrong with you?

:D

Well, the looks's as cool as F**K especially on my nonsense GT. Just wanted to know if there was also a rational reason... but then it would be out of place on my nonsense GT! :D

Stopping legs from being slipped too far into the crown... Good point ... Just think how strange this would sound for a non cyclist! ;)

Kaiser... the price is not too high, cause I've seen switchblades sold for more than 100 euros, it's just that paying slightly more you can get a pace fork, which is better. However, for some reason, I've always liked tange's and I haven't thought twice.

Tuppenceworth

There are at least two or three versions of the Switchblade - one has Prestige legs, one has a Tange logo in the middle of the brace and the third is a Bontrager variation. It'd be interesting to see/hear if there are any ride quality differences between them - but largely my experience matches yours - underwhelmed!

I think Track Two's also fall into this category - look great but punish you for your vanity!

Most early Taiwan forks (as these are) lack feel IMHO, despite being licensed from designers such as Murray, the exception being the Project 2.

Mr K

Re: Tuppenceworth

mrkawasaki":2n5oain7 said:
There are at least two or three versions of the Switchblade - one has Prestige legs, one has a Tange logo in the middle of the brace and the third is a Bontrager variation. It'd be interesting to see/hear if there are any ride quality differences between them - but largely my experience matches yours - underwhelmed!

I think Track Two's also fall into this category - look great but punish you for your vanity!

Most early Taiwan forks (as these are) lack feel IMHO, despite being licensed from designers such as Murray, the exception being the Project 2.

Mr K

Lalalalalalalalala - not listening, cant hear you, Switchblades are luvley...

I'm a big fan and have many of the bolt-up forks; Bontrager, IRD, Tange, Syncros. I like them for the looks and they're (truly?) MTB origin. Bontrager forks even had different crowns so you could alter fork rake. IRD's were interesting for their moveable brake mount.

The one bolt-up I'm frustrated with is Syncros because they used the most strip-prone bolts.

I believe that the heart logo was a signature of Tange tubing.

I had some Switchblades for the Zaskar. After looking them over I decided not to use them and fitted RC30s instead, far superior forks.

Russell":2j3eyux7 said:
I had some Switchblades for the Zaskar. After looking them over I decided not to use them and fitted RC30s instead, far superior forks.

I've run both - settled on the Switchblades becuase I didnt like the attitude of Pace when I asked to buy some canti mounts.

Back