Syncros modification question

DY85262

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK this one goes out to those in the know

1. Engineers :D
2. People with both 1" quill and 1 1/8" quill Cattleprods :D

Is it possible to turn the shaft diameter on a 1 1/8" cattleprod stem down to that size for a 1" steerer (7/8" I believe) :?:

My concerns are with the wall thickness. Did Syncros use the same material just turned down to size :?:

One way of checking this would be to measure the ID of the quill to see if its the same or measure the wall thickness and see if it is thinner for the 1" quill (as it has been turned down an extra 1/16" per side) I think thats right if the 1 1/8" steerer quill has a thickness of 1"

Are you all confused?

Bottom line is if I can turn a 1 1/8" stem down to 1" size I will buy one as I am struggling at the moment.

Over to you guys. :D

I am not sure if there is a difference in wall thicknesses beween the 1" & 1 1/8th". However my first thought would be DONT DO IT!

The last thing you want to do is to introduce in any weakness around that area, if it were to fail it would leave you face first in the rough stuff.

You will also run into issues turning it down any way, you can grip in a laithe by the end of the quil section and reduce most of the length, however you will then have to chop off the section you gripped by as you will not be able to grip the stem concentrically around the top cap area. You could possibly create a jig to hold it and allow the full length to be turned but it really would be easier just to buy a 1" jobbie.

(im an engineer)

Got both in my hand here. . .
both are constructed from material with about a 5mm wall. You probably could turn it down, but with the faff of clocking it up again, and then goin 2x1.6mm smaller on diameter (i.e, 1.6 on radus), that quite a lot .
I'm loking at 1992 stems in my hand. Dunno about later hinged jobs. Alternatively, I can sell you a 1", 160mm 3 degree with anoodle for £32 posted, or £30 posted in the UK.
Quite a few more modern ones on the forum too if you post a wanted ad.
;) hope this helps,

Back