91 Kona seat posts

Diameter depends on the frame. They used Kalloy, Suntour and Shimano in 1991. The Hei Hei is 27.0 at any rate.

In 1992 they had diameters of 26.4, 26.8, 27.0 and presumably 27.2, so 1991 is probably no different. If it's for the Explosif it'll be 27.0 or 27.2. Try them out and see what fits best...not too loose but avoid excessive force to get it in. And remember your grease.

All else fails write tech@konaworld.com and ask nicely. You'll most likely get an answer within 24 hrs.

It's a Lava Dome. Came with a Kalloy one originally. i guess I should try to find it, I replaced it with a USE aluminium with shim years and years ago, fancy a titanium or carbon now though.

It's a 28.6 tube with 0.9 gauge. That leaves 26.8, so you obviously can't get a 26.8 post in there, but a 26.4 is easy and some tubes might accept a 26.6, depending on the amount of reaming they had. Kona will quote 26.4, but if you can get a 26.6 in there without it sticking, the 26.6 will be better.

i have just spent an hour trying to get a 27.2 into a 91 explosif,it fits the top 2 inches fine but stops dead where the seat stays join the seat tube,i can feel a distinct lip inside and now dont know whether to get it reamed to 27.2 or waste more money on a 27.0 post,i have a 26.8 that rattles around.. :evil:

Just sell the 27.0 and get a 26.4.

Not sure if the 26.6 is better or not, but here is a quote from Kona tech regarding another seatpost:
Using the wrong size post will either cause it to slip constantly if too small and possible wind up with a damaged collar from over-tightening or if too large it will become seized into the frame and you will not be able to remove or adjust it’s position.

That may not happen, but it sounds like good advice.

Oh sorry, I see wrote wrong. I was trying to say sell the 27.2 and get a 27.0.

stew-b":2mzkwu1o said:
i have just spent an hour trying to get a 27.2 into a 91 explosif,it fits the top 2 inches fine but stops dead where the seat stays join the seat tube,i can feel a distinct lip inside and now dont know whether to get it reamed to 27.2 or waste more money on a 27.0 post,i have a 26.8 that rattles around.. :evil:
Hmm, there could be some distortion of the seat tube where it was welded. As you say, it should have been reamed flat and if it's that localised then reaming may be the right thing to do, although I've no idea how much it would cost.

I would suggest borrowing a 27.0 off somebody to check that it fits, and if it does I wouldn't call buying one a waste of money. Trying to run it with a 26.8 could cause problems, as you're distorting the seat tube to get the clamp tight and putting a lot of stress on it. You sometimes see Konas with cut-down seat tubes where the tube has cracked around the slot, owing to over-clamping.

Back