Daft (really daft) question about Coda sealed hub bearings

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So.....I've got this really nice Coda 900 hubbed front wheel, and the cartridge bearings aren't as smooth as they once were, but I'm going to put up with that.... :facepalm:

The thing is, when I turn them slowly to feel for grittiness, they turn independently of each other.....? Should they do that, is there no 'axle' of any description connecting them? You'll have to excuse my total ignorance, it's just I'm used to cup and cone bearings! (and hate them)

Attachments

• Sunn, Coda hub 004.JPG
    Sunn, Coda hub 004.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Sunn, Coda hub 003.JPG
    Sunn, Coda hub 003.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 449
Re:

When you clamp them, the axle will likely clamp the bearing better making it all work.

To change the bearings*, you take the end caps off, hammering side of the axle and one side pops out and then tap the other side out using common sense.

To pop them back together put on bearing back in on side, tapping on the out edges stall times.
Pop the axle back in, tap the other bearing in ....

* Something like that, they are generally all pretty similar, never touch a coda one ;-)

You could lift a seal with a thing screwdriver or pin tip, then clean and grease and place seal back on. It's quite a common thing to do.

Re:

Thanks Fluffy! As long as it's not anything dire I'll leave servicing them for now, and just use it, could be that I'll be 'upgrading' the wheels at some point soon anyway, it's just a case of getting it up and running for the time being.

By the way, I haven't forgotten your tiny Kona frame, trying to find packing materials as we speak/type.... :facepalm:

Re:

If they are anything like most modern hubs, instead of an axle, they will have end caps each side that act as an axle and never meet in the middle.

Replacing bearings is simple. Drift them out, press in a new set.

Enjoy.

End caps can turn independently.

Inside the axke is a tube with a step that the inner bearing race presses against. The end cap presses on the inner race from other side. When wheel is clamped in place, the caps press on the races whin in turn oress on the axle so in effect it is one solid assembly.

Back