Crank extractor for Shimano XTR M952

julesg007

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Need to get the cranks removed from the bike but only have a square taper crank removal tool.

Can I get some pointers in the right tool to get and how would it work as the BB axle is hollow!

Thanks

Jules

For V2 Octalink cranksets (I assume the V1 Octalinks that the M952 used is the same, but I've never had one) you need a little plug to sit in the hole. Shimano make them (TLFC15), also called "top hats" https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/shiman ... lfc15.html. It sits in the hole and the crank extractor pushes against it as you tighten it, forcing the crank off the BB. Rumours are you can use a coin of the right size (1p?) to do the same job. Results may vary...

Most modern crank tools have this kind of end built in now so you don't need the top hat.

Re:

I use a long M10 (IIRC) bolt. I have rounded the head so it fits.
Leave the opp side crank bolt in. Put you long bolt/steel shaft in the hollow axle, then there is something for the crank removal tool to press against.
Did it on Sunday with Octalink V2 and ISIS drive.

I needed one rather quick so used the angle grinder to round off an Octalink crank bolt so it could be used with a standard Park crank puller.

Back