Judy XC

dahl

Retro Guru
Hi guys!

I need some help, I have the classic first edition of the Jusy CX
viewtopic.php?t=185823

I have changed all the elastomers to springs and wiper/seals....
But the normal 28mm seals enduro/rock shox doesent work, they are way to big (wide)

Any ideas? I cannot find any other seals smaler than 28?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think, this is your problem:

FSX_Hydracoil_small-013.jpg

The upper seal is a old version Judy (or Specialized FSX in this case)
The lower seal is the 97 and later seal that you seem to have sourced.
The bothe are 28mm inside diameter. But the OD is different.

So you either find the old version seal. OR you leave the old seals in for cosmetic reason.

You can put additional (standard size) seals underneath the old ones, like so:
FSX_Hydracoil_small-014.jpg

(Size is metric)

800px-FSX_Hydracoil_small-015.jpg

800px-FSX_Hydracoil_small-016.jpg

Thias":1v75htkx said:
I think, this is your problem:

FSX_Hydracoil_small-013.jpg

The upper seal is a old version Judy (or Specialized FSX in this case)
The lower seal is the 97 and later seal that you seem to have sourced.
The bothe are 28mm inside diameter. But the OD is different.

So you either find the old version seal. OR you leave the old seals in for cosmetic reason.

You can put additional (standard size) seals underneath the old ones, like so:
FSX_Hydracoil_small-014.jpg

(Size is metric)

800px-FSX_Hydracoil_small-015.jpg

800px-FSX_Hydracoil_small-016.jpg

The problem is that i do not have the old ones... and it seems impossible to find, perhaps dremel them out in order to change the diameter?

Wouldn't do that. I'd still use the standard 28x35x5mm seals. Pressed in so they flush with the upper surface of the casting. Won't be possible to mount the rubber protection tubes but those are ugly anyway ;)

Or pop an add in the wanted section. Maybe someone has a pair of old wipers sitting a a drawer...

(edit: Please don't quote all those long texts. It's bad forum practice and really clutters up the threads... ;) )

Thias":3e1o621o said:
Wouldn't do that. I'd still use the standard 28x35x5mm seals. Pressed in so they flush with the upper surface of the casting. Won't be possible to mount the rubber protection tubes but those are ugly anyway ;)

Or pop an add in the wanted section. Maybe someone has a pair of old wipers sitting a a drawer...

Damn...

What you could try thou, is: Remove the rubber off of the new seals to reduce the OD. Maybe they will fit then? Just a thought.

If you remove the all the rubber down to the metal body of the seal, you could then use a thin layer of silicone sealant to hold them in place (oil the metal surface inside the castings so you will be able to remove them later...)
Maby it would be a good idea to leave some 2mm of rubber standing at the upper edge. Because the seals are not pressed in entirely. There has to be a gap between the seal and the casting. The rubber protection tube will slot in there. (I hope this is understandable. I am lacking the correct words here..)

Thias":1n6pnyh4 said:
What you could try thou, is: Remove the rubber off of the new seals to reduce the OD. Maybe they will fit then? Just a thought.

If you remove the all the rubber down to the metal body of the seal, you could then use a thin layer of silicone sealant to hold them in place (oil the metal surface inside the castings so you will be able to remove them later...)
Maby it would be a good idea to leave some 2mm of rubber standing at the upper edge. Because the seals are not pressed in entirely. There has to be a gap between the seal and the casting. The rubber protection tube will slot in there. (I hope this is understandable. I am lacking the correct words here..)

Cool will try, please let me know if you stumble across some wipes :)

Back