Lets have a stab at building some wheels

Carsen80

Dirt Disciple
I've never done this before but have always fancied having a go.
The first picture is:-
Two minty fresh M900 XTR hubs with new balls and ceramic grease and one re surfaced cone.
32x 262(front) + 32 x260(rear) DT swiss comp spocks with brass ends.
2 EXAL LX17 26" rims.

The second picture is the two wheels laced up and the third is the front. One spoke is incorrect can you spot it.

All I need now is my truing stand to be delivered and I can finish the job. As this is my first set of wheels I'll be taking them to the local bike shop to be checked and adjusted as necessary.

Attachments

• WheelBefore.JPG
    WheelBefore.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 444
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 444
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 444
Wait for a truing stand??? Blasphemy! You've presumably got the frame and fork they're destined for, and a few zip ties will make'em good working truing stands, like this:

Have at'em! Wheelbuilding's fun and rewarding.

J

Will you manage to get the dish correct on the back with equal length spokes both sides?
Most Shimano hubs i've built with have needed about 2-3mm difference (from memory) to get it right (built 3x 32 spoke)

Re:

I had read something similar about 2 to 3mm difference but according to two online spoke length calculator tools and double checking the rim and hubs measements with a vernier calliper it turns out there was only 1.2 mm difference 259.8 right and 261 left.
I had intended to order 16x261mm and 16x260mm for the wheel but in moment of advent mindedness I ordered 32x260.
I think (hope) I should get away with it.

Re:

A real truing stand - very posh! I use the brake blocks as truing guides, with blobs of blue tack stuck on top to gauge roundness. For even tension, just ping the spokes and listen to the tone. :D

Back