I feel partly responsible for all this

Mrbigzero

Retro Newbie
Hello

I'm going to introduce myself, many of you might already know me :mrgreen: After 15 years of not riding a bike at all & being out the game altogether. At 47 some medical issues have come to light & it looks like I'm keen to get fit again. Had my first bike riding weekend & loved it, looks like I've got the bug back. The Facebook page for us old timers has helped prompt me too, keep seeing old friends & competitors, the cool bikes help too :mrgreen:

I've been rummaging in the shed/garage/loft/boxes & have found no end of "stuff" some of which appears quite sought after :shock: It appears I have a rather large collection of Titanium, probably more than NASA & lots of shiny anodized bits too.

So for the first time in 20 years I'm assembling a bike, from leftovers, odd bits, stuff & general spares I found in the shed..... & no doubt some questions coming your way!

Meanwhile here's a hello from me & I look forward to some gentle rideouts & beer drinking events with old friends & new. Now somewhat older, slightly porky & definitely a lot less fit than he used to be.

Declan Hicks

Re:

Hi, sounds like you'll like it here on Retrobike. My old MTB clubs motto was "Ride bikes, drink beer, eat cake" , I like to think that Retrobike has a similar vibe to it too :LOL:

We like pictures here, and I'm sure you've no shortage of "stuff" to build up your bike with ;) so show us how you getting on with it, and start a "Build thread" in the members bikes section, I'm sure plenty of retro bikers would be interested in it.
Happy riding! :mrgreen:

Re:

Welcome Declan, nice that the flame has been re-ignited, does this mean some nice Zero bits are about to appear in the classifieds ;)

Re:

Hi Declan, great to have you join us, welcome.
There's lots of love for Zero components here - they were some of the nicest designed and stylish in the buisness! Good to hear you're back in the saddle, and can't wait to see the bike (photo's are mandatory) ;)
Incidentally, I've just acquired a prototype Hermann Stem, something I lusted after for years. It's an awesome piece of work, I'm stoked!

Re:

Thanks guys

Yes I have more odd weird & one off prototype bits than you can shake a stick at, quite a lot of stuff that to make use of will require some engineering. However it will keep me occupied. Pictures will be along soon, it's like rediscovering one's youth rummaging in my shed. My wife's cheapo Giant MTB that I borrowed for my first weekend of biking in decades has been tricked out in shed finds this weekend :mrgreen: Plan is to have myself a rideable bike by the end of the month as wife & I are off on holiday motorhoming about France in July.

I'm not planning on starting up business again that's for sure, though I might have the odd spare Zero part if someone gets stuck for their retro build.

Might be needing some instructions on Manitou rebuilding, sure I can find some advice here.

My work these days is in automotive, kind of an industry stig you might say, far removed from the world of bikes but it does mean I get too much spare time on my hands for projects & going biking.

Just brushing up a wee Ti project & seeing if I have enough bits for a complete bike :twisted:

Re:

Welcome Declan! You probably won't remember but I did work experience with you back in 1994 (I think) when you were at the old forge in Cranleigh - I had a '91 purple Lava Dome and you had your tricked out ProFlex 853 that you let me have a go on on a ride around the Surrey Hills! Left a big impression on a 17yr-old me.. Still have some of the Zero stickers you gave me as well!

Good to have you on the forum and might even see you on a ride one day.

Dave

I live in Dorset these days, though my old mum still lives in Cranleigh so am planning a few ride outs when stopping by that way. My old stomping ground appears to be renamed the Surrey Hills lately.

Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing what you're putting together. :mrgreen: Get a build thread started in the Readers bikes section here
Could it be a coincidence that a few Zero Components bits'n'bobs have been popping up on eBay and the FS sections recently? Or have some of your old mates been rooting through your hoard already? :LOL:

You won't know me but it's still my pleasure to welcome you back into the fold Declan and i'm looking forward to seeing your latest project and as for now put your feet up and make yourself at home ..

Ian ...

Back