Mag 21 or SID for 96 Stumpjumper?

Rodrigues

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Advice please :D

I have a 96 Stumpy in team red. Currently fully rigid but thinking of buying a suspension fork so I can mix it up a bit. Specialized did an FS model - Mag 21 was the fork.

I have pretty much no experience of the Mag 21 - what is it like compared to the SID? I've seen quite a nice SID on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222099171041? ... EBIDX%3AIT) which has been adjusted to take the travel down to 60mm. AFAIK the Mag 21 was 45 - 60mm (with the long travel kit) - so assume at 60mm for either the geometry won't be impacted.

How would these compare in terms of performance, weight, reliability etc?

I'm not fussed about the bike being period correct - I bought it to have for work commuting, winter / hack etc....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A SID is a very good fork. No question about that. But it is a race fork. Lots of adjusting and maintenance is needed. Regular air refill, regular disassembly and new grease. And they are quite expensive.

Another option would be some nice Judy with steel springs. Cheap, works good enough for any commute I know of, easy servicable. Or even a Judy Hydracoil. Those hardly need any service.

Mag 21s, from my experience, can be a bit floppy if you don't beef them up with a brake booster and a big fat hub. No experience of SIDs though, so difficult to compare. :)

Thanks all.....that is a really good point on the SID - I really can't be bothered with anything that needs lots of TLC. It's a commuter / beater bike after all...Judy sounds like a good shout.

The previous owner already swapped the wheels out for something new - so they just have the Deore T610 hubs on Mavic X317 rims. Fairly nice if not retro. Not sure if this will work OK with Mags if they are...ahem...'floppy'? :)

I personally would not use the Mags for similar reasons as the SID. I like the looks. But I don't like the feel. They are quite flexy. And have a high friction due to their air seals (no negative air chamber to cope with that...). The refill valves (those are rubber plugs with a little hole to stick a ball-pump-like neddle through) tend to fail and are hard to come by these days. They also need an air refill from time to time (once a month).

Compare that to a hydracoil Judy: Mantanance: Oil change every two years (just to be safe). No valves, 2 wiper seals that might need repalcement every 5 years. Thats it. Much better response due to less friction. Worst thing that could happen: You loose too much oil and the rebound dampening fails. You would still make it home in a very normal upright position. With the mags: You loose the air, the fork sinks in all the way. You loose the oil: same. ;)

cce":2t86bkd1 said:
For the task at hand, a rigid fork is the answer

yeah...and I have one of those already :)

the commute doesn't need suspension really - it's part road, part gentle bridleways

the other main use is winter hack - when the ground is soft

thanks for all the info chaps

@Thias - much appreciated all the info on Judy vs SID...I'll definitely bear that in mind if I got for FS on this bike at any point (also quick search on cost of Judy - very good price compared to SIDs).

Thias":103d01hq said:
I personally would not use the Mags for similar reasons as the SID. I like the looks. But I don't like the feel. They are quite flexy. And have a high friction due to their air seals (no negative air chamber to cope with that...). The refill valves (those are rubber plugs with a little hole to stick a ball-pump-like neddle through) tend to fail and are hard to come by these days. They also need an air refill from time to time (once a month).

Compare that to a hydracoil Judy: Mantanance: Oil change every two years (just to be safe). No valves, 2 wiper seals that might need repalcement every 5 years. Thats it. Much better response due to less friction. Worst thing that could happen: You loose too much oil and the rebound dampening fails. You would still make it home in a very normal upright position. With the mags: You loose the air, the fork sinks in all the way. You loose the oil: same. ;)

Mag21 do have a negative spring, it's just steel not air.
Air valve are not a problem and like SIDs you could fit inner tube valves if you really wanted.

Early 00 sid/Judy hydrocoil should of course be better as they are stiffer. But both sit in an oil bath just like Bombers.

Cheap bombers from early 00s would be a good choice to.

Don't go for the earlier dry Judy's, they let water in and there is no oil to keep it from blowing the lower legs and bushings.

Back