Weird things sold to the cyclist

Cavalier

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Now, I have to admit that I both like and use the companies that I am about to mention - so there is no insult or anything else intended, but, the following item I find utterly bizarre:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jtek-drink-c ... prod40788/
Surely somebody who is able to wield an Allen key is capable of buying a can and cutting a few bits off it? Any way, as surprised as I was there must be other items that you wouldn't imagine marketed to the cyclist?

mattr":3fm1qphw said:
L shaped cranks.

L-shaped cranks - perhaps. But at least they were designed and manufactured from scratch with some sound theory of MTB advancement.
The drink-can shims (for £2 for 3 slivers!!) falls into the category of, lets say, Muc-Off or Finish-Line packaging and selling cut up under-pants as bike polishing chamois.

You don't even need special cutting gear. Scissors work fine. Plus, a can of drink costs how much? You can make many more a shim for much less than £1.99 plus postage. Very strange.

Even stranger is why a company would make bar end shifters that don't fit, well bars??

Cavalier":2irh7r43 said:
mattr":2irh7r43 said:
L shaped cranks.

L-shaped cranks - perhaps. But at least they were designed and manufactured from scratch with some sound theory of MTB advancement.
Sound theory? Being generous, the originator of the idea was clueless and misguided. Being less generous, probably an imbecile. Or just a scammer.
cavalier":2irh7r43 said:
The drink-can shims (for £2 for 3 slivers!!) falls into the category of, lets say, Muc-Off or Finish-Line packaging and selling cut up under-pants as bike polishing chamois.
yeah. Pretty much a scam!

Re:

Drinks can shims require a drinks can (empty, preferably beer can), and a pair of scissors or snips.
If you don't have either of these then it could easily cost more than the £2 asking price to make your own can shims.
Then consider the personal risk of lacerations to your hands when making the diy shims (and the bike riding time lost as a result), and suddenly a few quid for some ready made shims looks all the more attractive ;)

Re:

Weird as it is not april 1st yet.

Scissors will cut a coke can, 0.1 mm thick, easily but be careful not to cut yourself on the can.

Other cans may be thicker, some beer cans are 0.2 mm.

.... and you can find drinks can pretty much intact littered everywhere.

I kno the thickness since i make brake calliper shims from them.

Back