2000 Hayes Purple Mag's - Ballooning bladder squeezing out!!

overwatch

Retro Newbie
I was hoping to speak with a couple Guru's in reference to a set of 2000 Hayes purple Mag's I acquired. I have updated the internals with the newest kit (changing the pushrod from 2.5 to 2mm) and am using parts that appear to be in excellent condition. After assembling the entire system, including the G1 calipers (moving freely with no obstruction) I started the flushing process. I flushed the entire system and removed the air, sealed the nipple and replaced the bleed screw. Pressure on the line was good, modulation was nice and the brakes were functioning as expected. I started my test ride and within a few pulls I lost all pressure and the brakes failed. I stopped and looked around for leaks or problems only to find the bladder being squeezed out of the small relief hole in the bottom of the lever assembly. With each pull of the brake lever the bladder expanded and inflated like a mini balloon, then when releasing the lever the bladder nicely tucked itself back into the assembly...

Anyone? I can only assume at this time that the timing port on the cartridge is blocked and pushing fluid into the bladder instead of sending it through the line but this is just a theory. I am hoping to get a little bit of input prior to ripping the entire assembly apart again.

Thank you in advance.

Back