Today's car boot buy: Univega Alpina 570 Racelight

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A big car boot near Skegness and I find the bike stall guy has a very tidy CB Cape Wrath for £39... But its missing its wheels and its the earlier 501 model so I pass.

I then see he is servicing this Univega AND the CBs' Wolbers are for sale separately sooo... I swoop, I haggle, I score!

LX groupset with all the Concept finishing equipment, XT rear mech and a bloody light frame IN my size and all very, very mint and tidy.

Me happy. Got me a nice whippy steel for the Autumn season once I've sorted the tyres.

Just confused by the beige leather saddle!

Attachments

• univega alpina 570.jpg
    univega alpina 570.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 915
  • concept fat hub.jpg
    concept fat hub.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 914
  • concept bits.jpg
    concept bits.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 915
Re:

very nice and original looking, I picked up a near new brooks saddle with a thomson layback seatpin last week for £16........ love car booties.

RBG

Re:

Great find :D
Better than me a week ago , saturday night on gumtree missed a set of xtr m952 sti units complete with boxed bar end shifters for £10 then the sunday morning boot sale the guy in front of me picks up a set of rolf propel wheels for £12 :cry:
Paul

ooh. I've had that before, missed a top end Marin dripping in White Industries kit for £45 plus a spare set of high end wheels for a further £15.

Back to the Univega - its lovely! replaced the odd tyres with my spare set of Nokians. Rather than fix the stuck left hand shifter, I replaced it with a better condition spare. Chainrings are good, cassette and chain, I dont know yet but I have spare on standby.

Super thin butted tubes, lively steel ride, snappy shifts, its all soupy twist. New brown grips on the way and when it stops raining, I'll get to it with the polish. Its already fairly lightweight but have treated it to a spare quality aheadset and some matching QRs.

I was hoping those screamingly 1990's rims were Velocity - they're Vuelta but no plans to change anything else except maybe that long stem. Long term it will be the tyres.

Expect it to be seen with some mudguards too.

The ride puts me in mind of this (I stupidly sold), same steel ride but without the noodling I've had with other frames. No, its not some bespoke super rare 2 frames a year build but it suits me.

should_i_stay_or_should_i_go_153.jpg

Latest posts

Back