Okay, so I bought a.........Roberts

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Today I went to the York cycle rally, random weather but overall a nice to see the event back up and running.

one of the regular things was the auction run by the Lions club, it helps raise money for McMillan nurses by taking 10% final sale plus 10% buyers fee. Its usually old roadie bikes but I spotted a gem and decided to have a punt.....

and here it is, I thought it was an overburys but the sale listing was a roberts white spider, I've had a pootle at the google images and searched the RB search engine but can't find a match, so enlighten me, what do you think it is.

takes a 27.2mm seatpost
1" headtube and judging by the hard time I had getting the stem out it takes a 21.1mm

IMAG0591_zps2qauskiw.jpg

IMAG0592_zps56hkssfg.jpg

IMAG0593_zpsv3xw3gq4.jpg

IMAG0601_zps9yrrr5g8.jpg

IMAG0598_zpszjsvxdkl.jpg

IMAG0602_zpsexeglcpz.jpg

RBG

Re: Okay, so I bought a bike....... ID help required

I can't help with ID but my word, it's nice, whatever it is. Like you, my first thought was Overburys.
Good luck finding out what it is :)

Re:

I was thinking of popping up there today. Some nice kit on there if it works.

Sure it's not just a dirtyfork tube.
As that'll be 22.2 stem as doubt something like that would have been made as a special.

A fiked flat on the back would indicate french, but that's still only .2mm difference.

I too am on the overburys band wagon.

Re:

Right stripped it down and gave it a once over, with the dirt cleared I can see a frame ID of 8792.

further frame details are the non slotted cable guides, lugged bottom bracket shell, rear seat-tube pinch bolt, shimano dropouts on the rear and bottle cage mounts under the downtube. also its a very nice shade of sparkly pink! dont think this is original but no sign of any other colour anywhere, been wrong before tho.

The thing that really throws me off is the cable bridge........

RBG

IMAG0609_zpskxxjrfpx.jpg

IMAG0608_zps5gf6vaso.jpg

IMAG0607_zpsmg3iq7b8.jpg

IMAG0606_zpsx8x6yqdt.jpg

xxnick1975":31qc0jps said:
Nice, why don't you think it's a Roberts?

I dont know :?

when I saw it in the auction tent I instantly thought sh!t 'an overburys', it just had that stance about it and nobody else had a clue what it was. I had been after one for so long that I had convinced myself I guess, then when the aged folk managed to lift it on the table for its auction the description read out was 'Chas Roberts White Spider'. My heart sank a little but thought ........ nice.

I just cant find an image of a roberts with that brake bridge, which throws me off.

RBG

Back