What frame tubing could this be?

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I picked up this bike which we think is made by Graeme Tutin, a UK framebuilder. The seller thinks it was made from Columbus tubing but we don't know which one. I will try and get a frame weight tomorrow.

Top tube diameter is 30mm
Down tube diameter is 33mm
The seat tube is oval at the BB, 33x25mm, then 28.6mm along the length and increasing in diameter at the seattube junction to 29.6mm

Any ideas?!

Re:

I can't believe this hung around on eBay for so long. Looks well finished from the pictures at least. What size is the seatpost?

Yes it's nice!
I've just stripped it, the tubes are very pingy, but frame weight is 5lb which I'm surprised by.
Seattube is 26.4mm

Re:

Are you sure this hasn't been a frame resprayed by Fleet at some point in time, and the forks colour matched too.?

The headtube, tig welding, rear canti hanger cable routing, rear stays all look like a Carrera to me looking at it quickly.

in a hurry these are a couple of pics of similar.

Given the weight and spec, it might be an option.

hope its a help.

Attachments

• $_86.jpg
    $_86.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 859
  • more%20car%20boot%20bike.jpg
    more%20car%20boot%20bike.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 859
That Carrera does look quite similar.

Orange Prestige 1993 frame & forks is quoted as being 6.5lbs, so 5lbs for the frame isn't so bad.

Re: Re:

Rampage":35nz1qog said:
That's like finding out your girlfriend used to have a penis.

You know this from experience? :?
:LOL:

It does look rather similar, but seems like quite an extent to go to (respray, matching forks, upgraded components) for a Carrera bike. Stranger things have happened though I suppose?

Lol, no. I did have a girlfriend dump me for another girl though.

I'd assumed that the frame was originally built by Fleet, then someone else painted it and had the decals made. This seemed to be the case after it arrived as well judging by the respray quality! The fades are good but there are paint runs and it has been not stripped of the old paint very well as you can see it underneath!

pic upload

Brands that will just never garner any kudos: Carerra, British Eagle, Al Carter.

Shame, as the frames are not that bad (mines the blue one btw - its next door serving as a child seat carrier)

Reynolds 501?

file.php

file.php

Back