Raceface Crank help and I.D. please.

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
I seem to have struck lucky with some cranks recently. One set are obviously Diabolus - are the others turbines?

There is a problem with the drive side Diabolus: as you can see the x-type extractor has been mangled by the previous owner - I suspect he tried to over tighten the cover and has mangled it then attacked it with a dremel or similar!. I have managed to remove the axle but the cover has jammed.

Any idea how to remove it please? I take it replacement caps etc are easy to find?

What external bb's are worth having - Hope?

Many thanks

Pics:

Re:

The extractor cap on the Diabolous is reversed threaded, if that isn't obvious. So remove it clockwise. I would doubt it's seized, I expect it's been overtightened by the previous owner who thought he was removing it.

Get a wide flat screwdriver in that slot and hope for the best.

External BBs, Hope are good, I've never had any drama with Race Face but the real "last forever go to" x-type BB is the venerable Shimano XT.

Also, just to confuse the issue, Truvative/SRAM use a different bearing size to Race Face/Shimano, so check that before you splash the cash.

Grumps

You could also drill a couple of holes in each side of the extractor cap and use a pin spanner to try to undo it. No a lot of metal to work with though.

This could easily turn out like a "stuck seatpost" thread.

Try freezing it?

The cap is only a thin alloy thing. Me, I'd get all primitive on its butt and try putting a big screwdriver against on side of the slot and tap it around with a hammer as though it was stonemasonry. Your willingness to belt the living daylights out of thin metal things might vary to my neanderthal tendencies though. :)

Grumps

Back