Saracen Maxtrax

dazdc5

Retro Guru
I just managed to land this..

$_57.JPG

My first half decent steed was a Tufftrax all those years ago .. before the Kili Comp then the Mount Vision.

Anyone got any clue on the fork ...it slides up but nothing holding in place ..dunno if its air/oil or elastomers?

Re:

It'll be an elastomer fork. They had about an inch of travel when new, but I imagine the elastomer is compressed and/or perished by now.

Re:

I had a set of those forks and both legs failed under the crown about six months to a year after I had the bike. Could just have been bad luck, but my advice would be check them thoroughly and probably replace them with something a bit more robust. From memory they had a tiny amount of travel and weren't exactly the best forks known to mankind! :)

(Mine were on a maxtrax btw - same era - see the link in my sig :) )

Re:

They just seem to have collapsed .. feels like there's no elastomers left!! :LOL:

There's a 6mm allen bolt about three quarters the way down each leg ..looks like I'm gonna have to fabricate a wrench that'll fit down there as there is nothing to undo at the bottom of the legs.
:facepalm:

Re:

Evening chaps .... this bike has a Tioga Alchemy aheadset .. got the cap off and clamp on the steerer and removed the circlip then expected everything to fall off!

It still feels solid, I've give it a few taps on top off the steerer but nowt.

Does it require brute force with a heavier mallet? I've doused the wedge assembly with penetrating oil and left for tonight as I'm on a week of 12 hr days ...and can't be arrissed.

;)

Back