Rocky mountain Blizzard '96 info required

konaman1

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
About to take delivery of a complete original '96 Blizzard :) Needs a bit of tlc most notably a stuck seat post, going to try brute force to begin with and if that fails then its down to cutting the post off and then hacksaw blade down the length til it releases. The seat clamp also looks busted from the pics :cry:

What size seat post and clamp do these take?

Pretty certain its a 17.5 would this be a good size for me at 5'11 32" leg or should I be looking for the bigger 18.5 size?

Always fancied a Rocky but they are usually miles away or 16" / 19.5" frame sizes.

Hi konaman,

My 96 Blizzard takes a 26.8mm seat post and a 30.0mm clamp.

Not sure about your sizing question, would have to make some conversions to the metric system first, sorry :LOL: . Maybe someone else can help you out with that more easily :) .

Looking forward to some pictures of your RM!

E

Don't want to patronise but give it a week with plenty of penetrating oil. Will help no end.

Good luck and look forawrd to a pic or two.

Double-E F":1i3wf67q said:
Hi konaman,

My 96 Blizzard takes a 26.8mm seat post and a 30.0mm clamp.

Not sure about your sizing question, would have to make some conversions to the metric system first, sorry :LOL: . Maybe someone else can help you out with that more easily :) .

Looking forward to some pictures of your RM!

E

Thanks for the info :)

Damn I just spent months hunting a Syncros in the same size for the '96 Bizango :shock:

coomber":1foyh9lm said:
Don't want to patronise but give it a week with plenty of penetrating oil. Will help no end.

Good luck and look forawrd to a pic or two.

Cheers bud good advice. I've got time on my hands with this one as it needs to go into hiding til the spring at least! Whats the most effective way to get the penetrating oil where it needs to go?

Spray gently around the top of the seattube and it will soak down. Also, adding it has a slit on the seattube that's also a good place.

And turn it upside down and can do it spraying it from any bottle mounts on seattube.

Depends how much is down there but it will help. Wd40 doesn't count either!

Be great not to have to ruin a good post if I don't have to. Getting it at the week end all being well so I'll see how it goes :)

Hi! I have a 1996 blizzard as well... Seat clamp is also 30.0 on mine HOWEVER mine takes a 27.0 seat post... So either the tolerances are a tad off on mine or its been reamed out at some point. So don't assume 26.8 just because the catalogue says so =)

Now, as for sizing, I'm 5'11" and mine is 19.5"... You can try to get away with a 17.5" if you like smaller geometry however you may find that you have an issue with seat post length... Due to the downward sloping top tube you need a very good length of seat post inserted into the frame. I would suggest a good 2" below the bottom of the point where the top tube meats the vertical seat tube. With my 19.5" frame I tried using a 350mm seat post but it was pushing the limits so I had to go to a 410mm and that just works. Aside from that I ride a 19.5 regardless... I have a couple 18.5's but also a couple 20-21" frames... Smaller frames a great if you do a lot of real mountain biking over big rocks, hills, in the extremes... But for me on trails I like them as big as I can get them =)

Here's my build thread... I'm going to add some slightly updated pics this weekend

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=277484

Back