Kona Project 2 Forks questions

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Are all Kona Project 2's tripple butted? if not, how do you identify the ones that are? Do they come in different lengths e.g. suspension corrected etc?

Are some versions better than others?

Many thanks

nope! Most say 'TB' on steerer, and they are lighter.. someone else will tell you what weights they are in a mo..

They were 39cm a-c until 1993, 41cm thereafter. Threaded until 1996.
By and large, the triple-butted variety was fitted to the Lava Dome and above, although it varied from year to year.
Weights also varied, perhaps at their minimum c1994, when TB were around 750g (but varies with steerer length).
Plain gauge were around 1kg, so if there is no stamp, you can tell from the weight whether a P2 is TB or PG.

just weighed a threaded early p2 at 800g I dont think its a TB either, and could find no stamping to that effect either

My P2 that I just sold is a '95 one and has "CR/TB" stamped low down on the front of the steerer (I presume CR being Cro-Mo and TB being, well you know!). It isnt the most obvious stamp so you may have to squint a little to see it, mine looks to have been stamped by someone or something with the power of 10 hamsters its that faint! Haven't weighed them though, Can do so tonight if anyone is particularly interested.

Dan

bhill22":3rkgc3ic said:
just weighed a threaded early p2 at 800g I dont think its a TB either, and could find no stamping to that effect either
That will be a TB. The stamp is very faint.
800gm is about as light as they go. Never seen any less than that.
closer to 900 gm is about right for a long steerered 410mm model.
The dropouts are a give away. plain gauge have flat ones; tb are more sculpted.

These are plain gauge:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Project- ... 9527784860

These are 410mm TB:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320864001139? ... 1423.l2649

You can just see the difference.

These are early TB, the nicest of the lot!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Project- ... 3a7208d538

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
suburbanreuben":1rs9c4ax said:
800gm is about as light as they go. Never seen any less than that. closer to 900 gm is about right for a long steerered 410mm model.
I have. My 1995 size 17/18 P2 weighs 770, and I have seen a 1994 stated to be slightly lighter.

My 1997 size 17/18 P2 weighs 835, but most of the difference is attributable to the 40mm longer ahead steerer.

The dropouts are a give away. plain gauge have flat ones; tb are more sculpted.
I haven't seen enough PG ones to be able to say with confidence that this is true of all years.

They first started the triple-butted terminology in 1992, and the 1992 catalogue says that the first TB P2 was 150g lighter than before. i.e., really early P2s were a lot heavier. For that 93 one, they quoted the weight at at 795g, not saying for which size, and had different dropouts. They changed the dropouts further for 94 and quoted a weight of 779g and a blade spec of 1.3/0.8/0.5. I think that blade spec was set from around then, until they started making them heavier for disc tabs.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Do these look like tripple butted ones? I can't see any stamping on the steerer.

Lzg+w51o_original.jpg

As others have said, there's many varieties of them, many not triple butted.

If no obvious stamp, weighing would be a good indicator.

I've got about 3 P2 forks, including one of those hateful ones with suspension corrected thing at the bottom of the steerer, rather than in the blade length.

I have a pair I'd love to thread, because they're pretty useless to me threadless (just a bit too short, but would probably be about perfect threaded), but the thread cutting tools are yay-much, and I do wonder whether many LBSs would be up to it?

Back