RAL Colours for Orange/White Fade Orange Clockwork

Roger_P

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi,
I am looking into powder coating my 92 Orange Clockwork, which has the orange/white fade paintwork and was wondering what RAL colours you have used to respray/powder coat your frames, the list of orange shades in the RAL colour chart is massive!
I have attempted to contact Orange about this, but they are unable to tell me as the paint is Taiwanese.
I have spoken to Bob Jackson's as well, but they were after £200 with a 4 week turnaround (and the paintwork is prone to chipping).

So any recommendations as to colours and also powder coaters or paint sprayers in the Yorkshire area?

Cheers,

Roger

Roger_P":10whf5rr said:
Hi,
I am looking into powder coating my 92 Orange Clockwork, which has the orange/white fade paintwork and was wondering what RAL colours you have used to respray/powder coat your frames, the list of orange shades in the RAL colour chart is massive!
I have attempted to contact Orange about this, but they are unable to tell me as the paint is Taiwanese.
I have spoken to Bob Jackson's as well, but they were after £200 with a 4 week turnaround (and the paintwork is prone to chipping).
So any recommendations as to colours and also powder coaters or paint sprayers in the Yorkshire area?
Cheers,
Roger
I think you need a very skilled powder coater to do a two colour fade. It can be done, but most of the firms you're dealing with are just taking the techniques they use in industrial coatings and applying them to the particular issues of a cycle frame. So they know about threads, not shot-blasting aluminium etc (well, most of them do), but they're not artists and they probably don't have experience of decorative work.

Hi Roger :D

The Orange/white fade respray on my "O" was a pain in the @rse to get right. The 'fade' was done using a small detail paint gun, a car resto mate, and a pack of beers!. A standard gun or Aerosol will result in a splatter rather than a fine fade. It took 3 attempts to get right too.
As for colour, I spoke to my painter today and he had custom mixed mine. RAL colours are normally used to ensure consistency for corporate colours... i.e RAC orange, Focus ST orange etc...
The orange is more toward the red end of the orange spectrum. 1st attempt in Focus ST orange looked more like a Dynarod van!!

Here's the end result... fitting it in around work made it a 2 month wait!

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• AluminiumOpt6.JPG
    AluminiumOpt6.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,874
As has been said already, the orange / white colour way was done in wet paints originally and the orange is a custom mix.
Most car paint suppliers should be able to match the original paint and mix some up if you take the frame with you.

What can I say, nothing is straight forward!

boy"O"boy - the "O" looks fantastic, and well worth the effort!

I was looking at powder coating because of the toughness of the finish, as my Orange is in daily use, I had assumed it would be as easy to manipulate as "normal" paint.

I guess I need to do some more research.

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Roger

Roger_P":2c38k2ri said:

Cheers Roger :D
..... thought about this a bit more :D . The "O" is a slightly darker orange than the clockwork....and it chips easily :shock: Although it seemed relatively straight forward, it wasn't easy. The painters that did mine are used to doing showcar bodies rather than colour fades and didn't really have capicity for small scale stuff!
Although I've never been lucky enough to own a 'yo or a klein, after the saga with my paintwork, I now really appreciate the effort that goes into an Aquafade or Gatorfade. How much effort must have gone into Shamus' 'storm' repaint? :D .....respect due!!

Good luck with your project.... keep us orange fanatics updated with a few pics!

boy"O"boy

Just to throw another example into the mix.. here is my 99 clockwork.. the orange on this really is day glow.. ala dyna-rod van.. :cool:

I'm going to re-finish it, and will be getting the colours matched.. I'm dreading the fade bit though! :shock:

2848629997_c4ba615153_b.jpg

Roger_P":1zcl75hi said:
I was looking at powder coating because of the toughness of the finish, as my Orange is in daily use, I had assumed it would be as easy to manipulate as "normal" paint.
I guess I need to do some more research.
Thanks a lot for your responses.
Roger
On the other hand, this is apparently powder coated (but I don't think anybody in the UK works to this standard). There's quite a lot of info on the painter's website http://spectrumpowderworks.com/

Attachments

• 2007 Groovy Cycleworks size 17.jpg
    2007 Groovy Cycleworks size 17.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,826
I've found the colours and the spray quality of Halfords rattle cans to be fairly good, had my eye on Volkswagen brilliant orange (which seems a fairly close match to the orange on my Clockwork) and plain gloss white when i was looking into painting my E3, did a trial at a fade on a scrap bit of pipe in my garage, will post the results later if i get the time .

If you need a sample of the 'Orange' orange pm me , my mate used to work at Jacksons and I have a touch up bottle of it for when my frame gets chipped.I live in Leeds near the airport.
2814186011_764e5a92b2.jpg

Latest posts

Back