Is this a Tange Levin headest with 'extras'?

I dont know what CDS means.....is that bad?

Yes, definitely JIS - It's a 1992 Spesh' Rockhopper.

I've pondered having the 'adjustment' done to the frame and forks to make it ISO, but it was just easier (i thought) to buy a new headset.

It's definitely metal coated with rubber - the pictures below show one of the seals clinging quite happily to a magnet.

The rubber covers the edges on one side (the gold/metal side).

And covers the entire surface of the other side (the black/rubber side).

Not sure if the pictures are side on enough?

Attachments

• Magnet1.jpg
    Magnet1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Magnet2.jpg
    Magnet2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 95
Re:

Hmm, not the same as my speedo drive!

I'd suggest installing the seal with the bearings fitted in the lower cup, but just gently push in until it is flush. Now push the crown race in. Sandwich the whole lot together, then using two hands push them firmly together (i.e. pre-loading the bearing) and rotate at the same time. Then, repeat, but this time with the seal ring the other way up. Hopefully one direction will rotate smoothly without fouling and the other will be draggy and horrible.

I had a look on Simply Bearings' website, this tech doc: https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/files/ina_seals.pdf demonstrates that the seal lip direction is simply that the thin end point towards what you're trying to keep out. In the case of my speedo drive, the main thing was keeping grease away from the brake discs (pretty bad on a motorbike!) hence the seal lip was pointing inwards. On a headset, I'd assume the thin end should point to the outside to keep water and grit out.

^^ this is a long-winded way of saying I don't know which way you're seals go :facepalm: :LOL:

SP

Thanks again.

Smooth as silk regardless of seal orientation.....

It's been fun anyway.

I might hear something back from Sprockets - in which case I will be sure to update the post.

I could try and contact Tange I suppose.....

This is the cycling industry in a nutshell - too many options produced by too many companies.

Some choice is good, but too much choice is really bad.

Anyway.....

Re:

that must be rubber side down so the angle of the lip is against the flow of the dirt?

BUT I could well be wrong.

Back