Is this a Tange Levin headest with 'extras'?

slomo

Devout Dirtbag
I ask because the 'Tange Levin 1'' threaded headset that i bought appears to have additional parts.....
They look (and feel) like seals to me, but they are not mentioned in the instructions or indeed the pictures provided by the supplier.
The old headset does not have these 'seals'.
Are they required and if so - where do they go/which way do they face?
They seem to fit in several places reasonably well, but not well enough to convince me that that's exactly where they go.....
Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• TangeSmall.jpg
    TangeSmall.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 387
Re:

They look like you'll need to fit them to either cup after you have fitted the greased bearing races to create a bit of a seal.

Thanks, really appreciate it - that was my best guess, but.....

Why are they not included on the exploded diagram?

As i mentioned, there are none of these seals in the headset i removed.

The other thing is that they are different on each side - a black (rubber) side and a gold (metal) side.....

The images below (hopefully) describe where they go, but the thing is that it doesn't 'feel' any better one way or another.
Indeed, the headset feels the same when they are removed completely.
I have shown the seal facing both ways to be thorough, but i think it goes as decribed below.

Given that i am using the lower cup here - i think the bearings go into the cup and then the seals sit on the bearings with the gold/metal side contacting the bearings (facing inwards/upwards).
The race than completes the assembly - contacting the black/rubber side of the seal - which is facing outwards/downwards.

I'm probably being incredibly pernickity here, but i can't really afford to get it wrong, put it down to experience and buy another headset......

All opinions welcome.

Attachments

• 1 Seal.jpg
    1 Seal.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 2 Lower Cup.jpg
    2 Lower Cup.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 3 Bearing.jpg
    3 Bearing.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 4 Seal1.jpg
    4 Seal1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 5 Seal2.jpg
    5 Seal2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 6 Race.jpg
    6 Race.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 345
Re:

I have a NOS one of those (CD model) in the shed! I've never opened it until now :roll:

The box actually specifies the dust seals on the side, in the contents listing.

The seal is pictured fitted on the races. However I have plastic 'seals' not rubber ones.

Back in the box it goes :LOL:

SP

They're typical bearing seals (in sealed bearings).
Probably just used here as an addon to create a small bit of splash protection at the edges.
Rubber side down, is my feeling. Since it's protecting from the outside and is how they would be used in a sealed bearing.
It will sit in the recess around the crown race (how does the look) .. similar on the top race.

Where did you get the headset from ?

Re:

Oh, I just had to replace an identical seal on a speedo drive assembly (motorbike). The seal was fitted gold side out (facing the elements, away from the wheel hub bearing). I thought this was strange until I looked at the clearances and realised it would foul the speedo drive, which slotted inside, much like your crown race to the cups. To double check, I phoned the workshop that I bought the bearings from (main dealer for the bike) and they confirmed gold side out, pointing to 'outside'.

The logic I came up with is that in this configuration the seal lip stops the grease coming out and allows a second part to be fitted snugly inside. It is also, in effect how my plastic 'seals' are fitted.

SP

Thankyou for the comments - so appreciated - particularly becasue i find the whole 'one million different sizes/shapes/configurations' that the cycle industry suffers from incredibly trying.

So.....(assuming bottom cup) order of assembly:

Cup
Bearing
Seal (gold side out)?
Race

Bought the headset from Sprockets Cycles.

The picture on the website doesn't show the seals either.

Tried that.....before anyone asks.....

To be fair though - it might be easier if Tange included them on the exploded diagram :x

Attachments

• Tange2.jpg
    Tange2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 321
Re:

But weridly, the seals are listed as nylon :?

Can you photograph your seal sort of side-on, please?

I'm not 100% sure which way up that seal goes, even with the parts diagram :oops:

SP

Back