Decals + Clearcoat Over Powdercoat

npn

Retro Guru
So I finally got to this project viewtopic.php?f=1&t=365795

Now I have the frame powder coated in pearl white and the decals applied. The decals are waterslide decals and look amazing but are very fragile because they are very thin. So my only option at this point is to clear-coat the whole frame...

So the question is: Is it better to spray the powder coated frame with clear? Or get new vinyl decals that are not so fragile and apply them?

Re:

Might be worth looking at different grades of helicopter tape. Something light enough but tough also. Although as you say the decals are fragile you will only get one chance to apply something like this over the top. Get it right and your laughing, get it wrong and you'll be crying.
If you go down the vinyl letter road get them laminated and produced by Gil m. On here that way no need for lacquer

You can paint over waterslide with 2pack without any problems.
Painting over powder is OK, powder is polyester and is pretty inert.

After you put waterslides on a coat of microsol or microset[I forget which one] and they
flatten out, then edges pretty much disappear with 3 coats of clear.

As to what's easier, vinyl.

Re:

My concern is that clear coat is not really "clear" but that's a risk I have to take. As far as the edges, this water slide paper I used is very thin, so the edges are almost invisible before the clear:

ZFYss5M.jpg

XwCtQsz.jpg

Back