Pace build (RC200 F3) continues - strip and replace....

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bought a pcae RC200 F3 when it was sunny and it's been in the shed since, awaiting time for me to tinker with it and make it mine. Time has passed, none of which I have been able to spend buliding her up, but today I managed to get the replacement bars/controls together and thought I'd share a few pics.

Bars - NOS silver Answer Hyperlights (not NOS anymore :oops: )
Stem - NOS Turquoise Ringle ahead stem, with a few decal scuffs ( :oops: as above)
Shifters - Suntour XC pro 7/8 speed thumbies
Brake levers - Black Machine Tech canti levers
Grips - New Onza porcipaws (reissues I think)
Bar ends - Answer Hyperends in turquoise
IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

I hope you'll agree this looks pretty sweet.

I've also included a pic of the bike as I picked it up/as it is now.
IMG_3636-1.jpg

IMG_3635-1.jpg

Changes planned are:

- Swap out XT m737 cantis for Machine Techs in black
- Swap XT threaded headset for turquoise chris king no logo in one inch ahead
- Swap Pace forks (RC35 AB) for newly refurbed/renewed RC35 MXC (or I will use a set on the wifes unridded clockwork, with the Stage 2 Ti upgrade kit
- Swap XT front mech for XTR M900
- Swap XT rear mech for XTR M900 (with turquoise jockeys)
- Swap XT cranks for some middleburns with turquoise chain rings

I also want to swap the wheels out for some ones I hope to build with some Nuke Proof hubs, with as yet to be defined rims, but hopefully some nice Ritchey ones in black.

Hopefully I'll get time to update this thread over the xmas break.

Don't forget to change brake pads, those red ones clash horribly.

Good job this isn't STw - there would be lots of complaints about tyre logos and valves.

Porcipaws - did they need cutting down? The new reissues require cutting.
Otherwise, keep up the good work

Radar":1uir3v8n said:
Don't forget to change brake pads, those red ones clash horribly.

Good job this isn't STw - there would be lots of complaints about tyre logos and valves.

Porcipaws - did they need cutting down? The new reissues require cutting.
Otherwise, keep up the good work
Cheers Radar - and don't worry, the brake blocks will be getting changed - not only do they clash but they are massive and clunky looking too.

The porcipaws did need cutting down, though the ones I had back in the day did too, but that maybe because I used to cut down my bars so needed room for controls and grips.

Tyre logos and valves? Is this lining up the valves with the logo for puncture related reasons, or just ponciness?

Tyres will also be updated too - maybe some amber walls, maybe some umma gummas, maybe some black wall onza rip/rail. Not sure yet, will depend on the wheel build I think.

looks good ian .pace 200's are probably (imho) the one bike that benefits from real thought being put into the build , a proper cnc/high end build
tho i did see a few with stx and kalloy stuff bitd (seriously)
my current one is syncros stem/post use bars/ends cooks cranks ,pulstar sun wheels and m73 odd drivetraln and machine tech brakes and rc31's
sweet

dont ride it much thu

Cheers Mikee. Cooks cranks, now those I could also do, same with RC31. If I fit the RC35 MXC forks, are the crowns compatible with the RC31 lowers (or do I have RC30s??)

dunno

looks like this ,tho some updates since this pic
P1010283.jpg

think the crowns the same as the 35's i have

Very nice indeed. I think the MXC crowns are a lump of alu rather than the sculpted earlier one in your pic, but it also confirms I have some RC30s - the chrome ones I believe.

If you'll pardon the pun, pace has been slow on this build (but in all honesty, lightening compared to some of mine), but I do have some progress to show you all. Having sold the bars that were fitted the other day, I was pushed into doing something other than leaving it barless in the shed, unable to get a grip, so here are some pics of what I've done of late:

How it looked, all forlorn without bars:
IMG_3955.jpg

A few other bits removed:
IMG_3956.jpg

All naked barring saddle, seatpost, bottle cage and crud catcher:
IMG_3957.jpg

So, what exactly did come off the bike (will all be up for sale soon I would expect):
IMG_3958.jpg

Right, now to the build - parts going back on. Started with the headset, a nice Chris King no logo in turquoise:
IMG_3959.jpg

Fitted:
IMG_3960.jpg

Up next, the forks. Some Pace RC35 MXC, recently refurbed by our very own pace detective, so almost as new:
IMG_3961.jpg

Forks fitted, including the bars/stem/controls I put together weeks ago now:
IMG_3962.jpg

Rear mech:
IMG_3963.jpg

Front mech and cranks:
IMG_3964.jpg

Brakes - lovely machine tech cantis:
IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

How she looks now with the old wheels fitted and a few bits of cable outer to show how she'll look when complete.
IMG_3967.jpg

Now she's almost there, but I need to sort out a few things before I can continue, so if anyone can be olf help/assistance or offer advice, that would be great:

Questions:
1) What middleburn cranks do I have. I though RS-3 but the pics I've seen of other sets seem to have RS-3 on the lower arms
2) I've currently got a UN91 BB in there, is this the right BB for the cranks (it was previously running the M737 cranks). How close should the crank arms be to the frame. I think mine look OK, but has anyone got a pic of their clearance?
3) Forks - I'm not 100% sure about the blue arches and fork sides, as it isn't the same as the turquoise ringle colour - thoughts opinions please
4) Chain suck device - after moving the individual teeth to different holes, it now looks OK with the 110 BCD chainset, but has anyone got any pics of how it should look/teeth distance from chain rings
5) Mint sauce decal - should I remove?
6) Forks again - I want a ti stage II bolt kit - any thoughts on where I can get some from?
7) More forks - rocker for cantis. I've got a nos kit, but it's nothing like on any other one on my forks - see pic below How does this fit/work?
IMG_3968.jpg

Tasks:
1) Sort out wheels and tyres (planning on nuke proof hubs and some rims yet to be decided)
2) Clean up frame a bit, replace decals as needed (have them already)
3) Cables and fettling gears and brakes
3) Cut fork steerer (shame as it is quite long and new, but needs must!)
5) Fit star nut and get everything bolted up
6) Buy a torque wrench and get everything torqued up right
7) Get out and ride the thing!

I like that a lot!

are you going to be running the gears in friction mode? or are suntour shifters compatible with shimano mechs and what I imagine is a shimano cassette?

foz":iaviw58r said:
I like that a lot!

are you going to be running the gears in friction mode? or are suntour shifters compatible with shimano mechs and what I imagine is a shimano cassette?
Cheers.

Will be running index, as I've been advised that they work fine with the shimano cassette and mechs. I think I was also told that the pace team used this combination. If it doesn't work, I'll add XT thumbies instead :)

Back