Yeti SB140 build

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve fancied a Yeti for a while now so a couple of weeks ago took the plunge on a new SB140 frame.

Gone for a colour called “smoke” and size large.

Not sure if it’ll get much love on here as it’s new and modern but sure someone will like it.

Re:

Still collecting parts as things are a little harder to get currently

Groupset I was going to go XTR as I prefer shimano

However couldnt resist this XX1 AXS with rainbow cassette and chain.

Magpiegifts":3ntrzeh0 said:
U lucky****
That's funky! Love the choice of the rainbow sram cassette, I've admired them from afar

Thanks mate.

It’ll be a subtle build in terms of colour. Mainly silver and black parts. So the cassette should pop nicely.

My wheels should be done this week hopefully too

Forks are red lyriks. Hopefully it’ll look ok but if it doesn’t I may end getting them painted or going for some fox36. Let’s see but hopefully the red should look good

VERY nice. I managed to land a Transition Sentinel last year - cosmetic damage meant a healthy discount - and that was a fun build. Very frustrating bit was getting all the clearances around the BB and chain guide sorted - turned out XTR dimensions were supposed to be OK and weren't - so in had to go a boost XT crankset and the XTR diverted to a COTIC Simple build. The cheeky little lower Kashina slider is fun on your frame - noticed the reviewers talking about that when this frame first came out. Attention to weight - Hope brakes, Rental bars, Hope stem etc can really push the overall weight down on these and really pays off. I also have gone for a One Up dropper on a recent Stanton build, Reverbs are so neurotic that I am a bit fed up with them. Some work forever without servicing, others develop 'squish' pretty randomly. Oh yeah, just remembered....the internal routing on the rear cable for the Sentinel was a major PITA. with every normal method - thin wire, brake wire, plastic inner, small ferret, etc - not resulting in swift insertion. Eventually brake wire did it, but only after I M M E N S E F R U S T R A T I O N . . .

Everything else was OK though. I went for a secondhand set of Stan's Flow 3 30mm internal for lightweight cross-country duties, and 35 internal WTB on Hope for following my son in bike parks and down Alps - he is A L O T faster....what wheel set are you going for?

You have the nicest colour, I think.

Great project. Nothing wrong with a bit of newness which works. After all, things we call 'retros' were new and new-fangled BITD. In 1992, I went from a couple of steel Marins to a Team Ti new fangled geometry...now a definite classic. My Klein didn't keep though - sold it after 2 years since it was such a lousy climber compared to the steel Team Marin and Team Ti.

Re:

Yeh I’m hoping to keep weight down as much as possible whilst it remaining strong. My Evil I’ve just sold was 28lbs

Deliberately buying parts known for durability again and also lifetime warranty.

Bars and stem I have which are Chromag BZA ,

Brakes I’m waiting for which are E4 hopes in silver. Hope discs and headset I’ve got too

I think maybe by this weekend I’ll be able to build it but my brakes won’t be here until end of March.

I’ve got a One up 180mm dropper waiting to collect from the place I’ve ordered wheels from. Hoping this week as I’ve gone for silver hubs which needed to be ordered from Hope.

Re:

ah Hope brakes are in very short supply at the moment. That's why. for the COTIC build, I have an Orange LH tech 3 lever running to a purple X2 on the rear and a purple RH tech 3 lever running to an Orange E4 calliper on the front. Looks like a Hope employee vomited over it. But stops well....

Re:

Makes sense as I sold my old set of E4’s in black for £240 and have paid £260 for a brand new pair. Just gotta wait 6 weeks

Wheels I was torn between another pair of Enve’s , Santa Cruz reserves or We are one.

Enve was ruled out as their warranty isn’t great compared to the others and they cost more.

I couldn’t bring myself to put Santa Cruz rims on a yeti - and there was litttle stock around unless I went for a pre built pair on 350 hubs

So in the end I’ve gone for We are one Union. Built onto Hope hubs rather than I9 due to riding Peak District a lot.

Back