WTD: Syncros Powerlite fork

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A bit of a long shot, but I'm after a Syncros Powerlite fork with a good crown and 1" steerer.

I have a good set of Powerlite legs so the condition of the legs is less critical.

Anyone got some they'd like to part with??

If its any help..I read somewhere before that the legs can fit a Rockshox Mag steerer crown.

Worth giving it a try, I have some powerlites in 1 1/8 that i want try same thing to make 1"

heartbreaker":2bk4vuqk said:
If its any help..I read somewhere before that the legs can fit a Rockshox Mag steerer crown.

Worth giving it a try, I have some powerlites in 1 1/8 that i want try same thing to make 1"

Technically, i'd say that you're right... but they'd just look wrong with a Mag crown:
Powerlite.jpg

powerlite2.jpg

(Poached from Jez's '08 for sale thread :) )

Good luck with the search!

Agreed, its not as good as having a original syncros crown.

If you have 2 spare legs though..Finding a 1" syncros will be difficult.
over a year and i gave up looking...they mostly seem to be 1 1/8

I found the place where i read it and not sure how it would effect the original offset / rake

"Ok, got one of the forks converted over using a pair of syncros powerlite fork blades and a Mag-21 fork crown. Here's the basic results...

It takes a bit of labour, the bolts on the syncros crowns tend to stick and strip easily as they're only a 3mm allen head, and pretty long, and syncros NEVER greased the damn things (and zinc coated bolts in Al crowns do have a habit of corroding in place). Usually results in needing a dremel cutting disc to pop the bolts. Next comes the minor forcing of legs into rockshox crowns, needed because the powdercoating on the syncros fork legs increasing the outside diameter of the blades from 25.4mm (which the rockshox crown is sized for) to 25.6mm. All total about an hour of being careful not to scratch up the fork legs or Mag-21 crown (don't care about the outgoing syncros crowns, they become paperweights after).

Now this is what you end up with (and I'll have pictures later today)...

- A straight bladed fork, on a Mag-21 (or specialized Futureshock, Mag-20, or other similar fork) crown, that has a fork crown race to axle length of 15.75". Therefore a fork that precisely mirrors the geometry of an older Mag-20/21 suspension fork with the proper sag set, which makes it ideal for older Bontragers and so on which people are converting to SS's (anything up to about 1994-95 vintage). Mine is probably going on a Slingshot MT3 frameset I just won on ebay.

- A fork which actually weighs more than most unicrown chromoly rigid forks (mine weighs 2 Ibs 1.4 oz with a 6.5" threaded 1 1/8 CrMo steerer, and I have Tange Bigforks with longer steerers that weigh an ounce less).

- A fork with 105mm (well, 105.6 to be precise) dropout spacing. This is due to the fact the rockshox crown is slightly wider than the Syncros crown. So of course, out goes the whole QR hub routine also. No big deal, I'm planning to use a DX BMX hubset myself.

If people are interested after all those glaring little details, I'll look into making more on a case by case basis."

Not keen on the Mag option myself, although I may look into it a little more.

Even a good 1 1/8 crown would be a good start as I can get a steerer made to fit.

andrewl":2bje7v60 said:
Not keen on the Mag option myself, although I may look into it a little more.

Even a good 1 1/8 crown would be a good start as I can get a steerer made to fit.

If you get desperate, I think I have a couple of 1" Mag/Futureshock crowns lying around.

not sure if i should bring this up as i'm not looking to part with it, but i have a 1" crown. and even if i do part, i've already promised first refusal to another RB user.

this is in fairly good condition, but typical is the fact that the steerer is short at being about 5" in length with 1" of threads. was originally intended for my Merlin build, but because of the need for a longer steerer and no easy way to do it, it got socked as i found a bonty composite which has a crown that easily facilitates swapping out the steerer.

not sure how you'd get a 1-1/8" to work, as i see no easy way of pressing the steerer in/out as it's at an angle to the crown, as opposed to being 90°. as well, i'd assume that bonding was used along side press fitting the steerer. only real conclusion i was given by neilll to make the crown usable was to have the steerer extended by grafting/sleeving.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88076

Attachments

• img_0689_170.jpg
    img_0689_170.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,669
  • img_0688_337.jpg
    img_0688_337.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,669
  • img_0684_163.jpg
    img_0684_163.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,669
RockiMtn":35mw2ezt said:
not sure if i should bring this up as i'm not looking to part with it, but i have a 1" crown. and even if i do part, i've already promised first refusal to another RB user.

Well if it does become available let me know as I think it would look great on my Toad.

Try finding a good condition one with 1-1/8" steerer at ~170mm threaded, nope they all have short steerers for some reason.

Back