Worry about snapping a frame?

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,
I have a Yeti ASR SL I built a fair few years ago and haven’t used much (not at all in about 5 years). I’m looking at starting to get back on my bike again and in the middle of building up an old Muddy Fox hard tail to play about on.
The worry I have is if I use the Yeti (I currently weigh about 18 stone being well out of shape at present) am I likely to snap the frame - namely the part I worry about is the carbon swingarm?
I’ve seen a few similar Yetis with snapped/bonding problems on eBay.
Anyone used a carbon (rear end at least) Yeti being a little heavy yourself or actually experienced snapping one?

Some carbon bikes have a rider weight limit, I’ve seen 120kg flouted as a number in some manufacturer literature, but my personal opinion is that:

1) carbon frames can split because somewhere there was always an inherent weakness in a specific frames manufacturing process, and at some point it gives way
2) you crash the bike and hit it in a direction where the frame takes an impact where it’s not built to be strong
3) you ride the bike abusively and don’t ‘ride light’ (e.g. not stood up and using limbs to take some load)

Any bike can fail of any material, I believe there are companies out there now that can mend carbon, so if you want to ride it just ride it. I have an SB5c 2016 and have watched the Yeti forums since and as many break today (new ones) as historically. If you’re the first owner you may get some goodwill, but don’t rely on it!

No.2 ^

Biggest risk to frames is from crashing and the directional forces that the frame hasn't been designed for. It is hard to say really, what is safe in normal conditions, and manufacturers will probably tell you not to , to cover their arses, even if there is a big safety margin built in.
Alot of lightweight/weight weenie components can be very high risk items, if you are north of 100kgs, without even crashing, but it does depend alot on your riding.

Quite, I've broken most of my frames when I was younger and lighter from crashes and riding harder/more often than I do nowadays.

That said, I've got some 18 stone plus/6 foot 4 plus friends and they regularly test the limits of frame technology even when riding relatively sedately (and not). One would regularly ovalise Cannondale bottom bracket shells and in the end they gave him his money back.

Thanks all for the reply’s.
I’ve never been one to go through bike parts let alone frames through abuse - they tend to either wear out or be upgraded. I think the plan will be to use the newly built hard tail for a while then start using the Yeti once I’ve shed a few pounds.
I have a soft spot for the older Muddy Fox’s (late 90s) hence the one I’m currently building and know the one I have should be strong too.
Will be nice to get back on the Yeti in the mot too distant future though!
From what your all saying, the riding I do, I shouldn’t be putting too much stress on the frame anyway - road/light trail.

Back