winter snow stud tyres,Anyone use them off road

half cog

Senior Retro Guru
Hi
Has anyone used winter snow stud tyres off road when there is no snow and if so how did the studs stand up to it.I can imagine that the flexing could pop out the studs. If not it would save a lot of messing about wheel changing. Overall wear is not so much of a problem as they dont get big milage but dont really want to ruin them

My mate ran them for the Puffer one year when it was icy. Warmed up during the race and started losing studs at an alarming rate once the ice was gone. I think there is a correct running in procedure for them that makes them last longer, but don’t think longevity is great if it’s warmer.

Thanks for the reply. They need running in for 20 miles from new.No hard braking that sort of thing.I imagine that going over stones and gravel will distort the rubber and ease the studs out and it seems that is the case.I run them on a cross bike and have two sets of wheels( 1 offroad and 1 ice ) set up to easily swap over. Still a pain to have to do but it sounds the best way to go
Many thanks
Peter

Back