Willi Moore 531c Touring/Racing frameset 59cm Record H/S

1988_Ben

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
57.5cm c-to-c top tube. 59cm c-to-c seat tube.

Reynold 531c frame, 531 forks. Fitted with Campagnolo Nuovo Record headset which is in excellent condition. Also fitted with Token BB (Campagnolo) which is still as smooth as when new (handy item - cartridge bearings are replaceable). Takes 27.2mm seat-post. Stays are 130mm width. Frame is designed for center-pull or long reach calipers with a 'standard' nut. Will happily take 28mm tyres with full width mudguards.

Combined weight for all these parts is 3.1kg, so frame & forks together are therefore about 2.8kg.

Some special features: the cable guides/stops are designed for bar-end shifters so actually works out really neat if you run Ergo or STi shifters (see last photo). There are really neat 'noodle' cable guides under the BB shell. There is a neat little plate next to the chainstay bridge that can be used to attach a mudguard, or possibly a dynamo. There are tiny noodle guides on the RHS fork blade and chainstay for electrical wiring (hub dynamo).

Lovely ride - very smooth. Shame to see this go, but it's a bit too large for me, and 8 other bikes are demanding my attention.

£155 for all the above inc. postage. Or £145 without BB.

It's the original paint (~30 years old) with quite a few paint chips, scrapes and I guess you'd call it 'micro-bubbling' where surface rust is coming through the paint. There is no damage or dents, but the paint has been badly worn away where a wheel has rubbed against the chainstay and also on the outside where I presume chainsuck has scratched a lot of paint off. There's also loss of paint at the bottom of the downtube, possibly due to a pump being fitted there. The bare metal/rust has been touched up with rust primer. The dropouts have lost a fair bit of paint. There is surface rust, particularly near the cable guides under the top tube. I had intended to get it sand blasted and resprayed but the metallic green is lovely, so never got round to it.

I'm fairly sure it's got Prugnat S/4 lugs. Dropouts are Campagnolo. This frame was very likely a one-off for a customer. Very little is know about the manufacturer. I can dig out some info if anyone's interested. Rumour has it that Harry Quinn made most Willi Moore frames.

It's got all the braze-on fittings to be used for touring, but it's got a racing pedigree, if that makes sense.

i-TJkfGpv-X2.jpg

i-34MztQm-X2.jpg

i-n2tqBcn-X2.jpg

i-PTQQmG7-X2.jpg

i-82NmzfZ-X2.jpg

i-gCRjZdc-X2.jpg

i-HB4THRD-X2.jpg

i-BzSVqqP-X2.jpg

i-V5X5mN7-X2.jpg

And here's what it looked like built up. All the parts are now for sale. I've yet not listed the saddle, brakes, wheels, mudguards, chain, stem, quill/aheadset convertor, and bars, but would be willing to sell them:
i-QSfBzHr-XL.jpg

Back