where to find caged ball bearings ?

jordic1968

Retro Guru
Hi
Anyone can help me please to source cheap 3/16" x 20 caged ball bearings for my athena headset, like the pic (campagnolo ref. HS-OR006).
Not looking for campagnolo original ones, I guess these should have standard spares ...
Thanks

Attachments

• 20201204_153614.jpg
    20201204_153614.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 372
thanks for the tip ;) Full story is these bearings in the pic are from another headset (chorus 9 speed groupset), but are to be the same size. So problem is I have 2 headsets and only one set of bearings ....
I've been googl'ing for ball bearing online shops but could'nt find these specific ones. Maybe anyone had the same issue in the past and can help
Thanks!

Try Simplybearings, they are pretty good and helpful.
I would dump the cages and fit extra balls.

What he said, the cages are only really for ease of assembly and service.
Not only will loose bearings take more load, if you have any slight brinelling of the races, the changed spacing will make it a thing of the past.

Other than Campagnolo and others of the same ilk, I've never seen 3/16 cages with anything more than 15 bearings. I'd buy some decent grade loose bearings - they'll be better quality than what are in cheap cages and work out a lot cheaper than fitting Campag cages. As mentioned, there'll be more bearings in there than what there are in cages.

jim haseltine":p0umctpl said:
Other than Campagnolo and others of the same ilk, I've never seen 3/16 cages with anything more than 15 bearings. I'd buy some decent grade loose bearings - they'll be better quality than what are in cheap cages and work out a lot cheaper than fitting Campag cages. As mentioned, there'll be more bearings in there than what there are in cages.

Right. That's what I discover now ;)
Thanks guys. Either I get a cheap headset just for the bearings or use loose balls (something I didn't think about , great tip!)

Back