Where do you get your 32T 5Bolt 94mmBCD chainrings from?

slomo

Devout Dirtbag
Looking for a middle chainring replacement on my LX FC-M563 cranks.

Think it might be time to go 4 Bolt - and make life several hundred times easier.

But have that little nagging voice telling me to keep the bike original.

I've googled everything i can think of, but i'm not sure any of the potentials are the right thing.

I'll take it new or used.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• LX Chainring.jpg
    LX Chainring.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 240
I've just thrown a worn one in the recycling. But not good enough to re-use - will just knacker the chain.
I think you'll be pushed, since it's the middle ring which gets such a hammering and was difficult to clean properly.
Best hope is NOS, and they will come up. Or...Middleburn. Nice contemporary alternative.

Re:

Search on something like
94 BCD 5 arm chainring

TA will probably pop up.

You may / may not have to be less picky on size and colour

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Um.....when did chairnings get so f£$%&*g expensive? :shock:

I MUST be getting old.....

Re:

Happens to the best of us, dunnit.

Anyhow ebay has generally come good for me. Just use keywords such as
sugino, talon, compact chainring, and see how you get on.

I've given up on crc, where they are enjoying the modern era right now.

The subject chainring is a special bit of kit, being ramped and nice looking.

If you find an alternative, prepare to have to faff with the ring spacing, no biggy though.

Cheers.

Good old Spa! I was just going to say, if you go for a 4-bolt, see if you can check on the Q, and the chainline. I bought Alivio a few years ago (probably a mistake), and I'm still getting over the offset on the cranks, it's huge for a "traditional" bike, ie 7 or 8 speed with a max tyre width less than about 2.3". I'd buy a couple of middles from Spa, if they have them, but I understand the temptation of a 4-bolt, there's so much choice even at CRC, which I agree is nothing like the happy hunting ground it was.

4-bolt cranks. Just wrong, they have always looked awful to me.
It's like car wheels - they always look more 'right' with odd spoking. The only exceptions are Minilites (which look fab with 8 ) and 3-spoke wheels, except on Saabs.

You may be a reincarnation of a Japanese master of ikebana, I reckon. There's a lot of "odd number" stuff in that. And there's rotational and bilateral symmetry to contemplate as well..
And I think you're right. Nicest looking wheels do have an odd number of "spokes".
But think of the weight-saving with 4-bolt. You'll go up hills faster. And you can't see how many arms your cranks have when you're riding.

Re:

slomo":newhe8e0 said:
Many thanks for the suggestions.

Um.....when did chairnings get so f£$%&*g expensive? :shock:

I MUST be getting old.....

I can answer that one, it's when CRC stopped selling Middleburn rings and then Middleburn went down the pan and then CRC went the same way and Wiggle now owns them and charges unreasonable (aka sustainable, probably) prices as they lack major competition.

Something like that.

Though you can pick up a triple ringed T551 from CRC for £36 incl BB, the whole crankset.

Back