Wheel building using old hubs.

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Going a bit mad here trying to get started on a wheel build. Got some old DX hubs, new rims, spokes and nipples.

I was using the Sheldon Brown site as a guide.

Sheldon says:

“The key spoke will be a trailing spoke, freewheel side....Since the key spoke is a trailing spoke, it should run along the inside of the flange. The head of the spoke will be on the outside of the flange.“

Looking at my old hub, the wear from the old spokes indicates that the spokes were installed the other way round. I.e. leading spokes ran along the inside of the flange on the drive side (and on the outside on the left side, so it makes no difference which way round the up hub goes).

I then had a look at some other ready build bike wheels and they don’t conform to a standard, all are laced differently, some have both leading spokes on the outside, some are have leading spokes both left, some have both right.

I googled for another guide. https://patricktaylor.com/building-a-bicycle-wheel looked good... he says:

“Leading spokes point from the flange in the direction of rotation of the wheel. The first leading spoke to be fitted is known as the key spoke. It comes out of the flange on the outside” (on the right hand side of the wheel)

So again, different from the previous lacing pattern on my hub, and to confuse matters he chooses a different spoke from Sheldon as the key spoke.

What should I do? Follow the wear pattern on the hub on the basis that the flanges are less likely to fracture, or start again using Sheldon’s advice?

bluetomgold":1suqx7i6 said:
mdvineng":1suqx7i6 said:
Follow the wear pattern or you could induce future cracking

Cool. Any thoughts about where to start?

Don't think it matters when replicating the original, all will be tensioned equally in the end.

If it is a Shimano or Camapg hub, I'd just not worry. Cracks on either are incredibly rare. If it's a light bling hub, follow the path of the previous build.

Re:

Although the above is probably true, I decided to play it safe and follow the wear pattern on the hub.

Actually found it a really easy way to lace up, pretty hard to go wrong if you follow what’s been done before. Still needs a final true and tension but it’s basically a wheel, which is obviously very pleasing.

Attachments

• 1254058C-0A9A-44AE-BEA2-783E427A7EAF.jpeg
    1254058C-0A9A-44AE-BEA2-783E427A7EAF.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 458
Remember the first spoke should be next to and pulling away from valve hole. You don’t want spokes crossing above the valve hole. I lace mine the Sheldon way, just seems to make it much easier to get the spokes in. :D

bluetomgold":ju0bv9io said:
mdvineng":ju0bv9io said:
Follow the wear pattern or you could induce future cracking

Cool. Any thoughts about where to start?

Attachments

• 835CED68-B949-4DCC-A104-F74925654B3F.jpeg
    835CED68-B949-4DCC-A104-F74925654B3F.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 353
Re:

Antstark":23r5efd6 said:
Remember the first spoke should be next to and pulling away from valve hole. You don’t want spokes crossing above the valve hole. I lace mine the Sheldon way, just seems to make it much easier to get the spokes in . :D

Cool yeah, I basically tried to start in the same spot on the rim, with the spoke oriented as suggested... it worked out ok. :D

Attachments

• FA886036-A072-483F-A86B-B87D59DF3544.jpeg
    FA886036-A072-483F-A86B-B87D59DF3544.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 334
Re:

Exactly what mdveng says. Don't induce more feformation on the hub if you don't have to.

With respect to leading and trailing inner and outer..... I appreciate the descriptions and logic, but in all reality, a good builder will build a durable wheel with whichever arrangement and all will last for years.

Back