What's In The Box? (Brad Pitt Voice) An Early Bontrager OR! **Finished Photos Page 11**

I've seen a few of these bonded/pinned stem/bar combos......
Is it me, or are the bars always upside down?
I would have had the Hyperlite the right way up - or was this KB showing his rebel streak again? o_O

If memory serves, there’s a long thread somewhere on here where this topic is hotly debated.

My understanding has always been tho, that the logos should be readable to the rider, not any potential viewer, in order for the bars to be at the correct angle and intended sweep.

It’s everyone else who has them on backwards!

In fact, I think these Bontrager combos are a pretty persuasive source of evidence to support that side of the argument. I should resurrect that thread from the dead and post them!

Or Answer/Easton saying 'yeah we have X amount of Hyperlites where the etching was started in slightly the wrong place that you can have cheap, nothing wrong apart from that'. KB ' Hell yes, who gives a shit about logos!’

The position of the logo on your combo - the rider would have to be hanging way over the front to be able to read that .
It's where I would have had it to be read from the front - but the right way up.
Maybe that's why my wrists are knackered?
But then, over the years, I've seen Orange HotRod and all sorts facing towards viewers, not riders.

Right, but I think if you imagine the usual repeating text beneath it, it would be just about right?

They certainly appear to have the correct angle and sweep from the side-on view.

I'll add a photo to show that later!

Either way, text should definitely be orientated rider side up.

I mean, I say definitely, but there were examples in that other thread showing catalog images proving one side of the argument, and then original team rider bikes proving the other! I think it was @regan_ev's Yeti thread, maybe?

And yeah, that probably is why your wrists are knackered :)

I have a friend who was running his the reverse, stranger-facing way, and every time I tried to ride his bike I would feel a weird pressure in my wrists from the way his bars were orientated.

He, on the other hand, couldn't tell the difference because that was the way he'd always rode them and I guess his body had made it's own adjustments over time.

Well now...

The two things I thought would take me the longest to source have turned out to be the fastest. One is on it's way from the UK, the other arrived from Portland this morning:

tempImageTqdRjJ.jpg tempImagemta1kL.jpg

Thanks again @holden

Can't wait to finish work and start unwrapping it!

I'm very excited.

It took all my willpower just to leave it how and where it was this morning!

Anyway, more on this and the other purchase in good time.

I have a couple of other potential leads and developments to report at some point too...

Well now...

The two things I thought would take me the longest to source have turned out to be the fastest. One is on it's way from the UK, the other arrived from Portland this morning:

View attachment 598352View attachment 598358

Thanks again @holden

Can't wait to finish work and start unwrapping it!

I'm very excited.

It took all my willpower just to leave it how and where it was this morning!

Anyway, more on this and the other purchase in good time.

I have a couple of other potential leads and developments to report at some point too...
How did you find a fork!!?!

How did you find a fork!!?!

Well, I placed a wanted ad on here, received a message from someone with one, worked out a deal, and willingly, crazily, spent a stupid amount of money on something I really, really wanted!

(Selling a bunch of other stuff along the way in order to pay for them)

AKA: I got really lucky!

Ha!

I don't know about that, it's probably more madness than karma, but whatever it is, I'm glad it found me and the forks are now in my possession!

More pics soon, promise.

I'v been lagging on this one, haven't I?

Well, the build is still going. But before I share a bunch of component updates (can't believe I left everyone hanging regarding the forks!) I thought I'd stop by just to say:

tempImagePArPCa.jpg

I believe they call this a plot twist!

Back