What's In The Box? (Brad Pitt Voice) An Early Bontrager OR! **Finished Photos Page 11**

Back to serial numbers - mine was 0020 - 1991 - and the conclusion was that it was a first batch Cannery frame. I have tracked down internet references to slightly earlier and slightly later numbers, and it all fits together.

Rod - my problem was that I loved it so much that it never left the workshop....the Oranges got thrashed, the Bontrager just lived quietly under dust sheets. Duh.

I know I promised photos, but I keep forgetting to take it home from work with me at the end of the day.

I also quite like taking a quick peek at it below my work bench every few hours ; )

The weekend perhaps.

Anyway, I did get the work tape measure out today, just to confirm sizing:

Seat tube: 17" center-to-center, or 19" from center to the very top.
Top tube: 22" center-to-center.

So, that would make it a Large. And more or less the same size as most of the other bikes currently in my stable (bit disappointed at that to be honest, as I was originally hoping to go a little bigger with this bike).

That said, over in HERE, people seem to think the large size, which this seems to be, would be the size for me. So I guess we'll see!

Odd that in the chart @slackboy posted the top tube is supposed to be 23" in the Large, when mine is 22". Unless for some reason that measurement was end-to-end rather than center-to-center like the ST?

Anyway, plenty of six-footers in here ride larges, so I feel confident this is going to be the right fit for me.

I didn't have the calipers at work, so couldn't confirm seat tube diameter, but the chart linked above claims it should be 26.8, so off I go to eBay...

Back to serial numbers - mine was 0020 - 1991 - and the conclusion was that it was a first batch Cannery frame. I have tracked down internet references to slightly earlier and slightly later numbers, and it all fits together.

Interesting.

And serial should be on the bottom bracket shell, yeah?

Interesting.

And serial should be on the bottom bracket shell, yeah?

Yep, should be. Mine is 14 13 0291

I've been a bit busy the last few weeks and haven't had much time to check in. Nice to see another Bonty on the site

Back