What's In The Box? (Brad Pitt Voice) An Early Bontrager OR! **Finished Photos Page 11**

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So, I've got a whole bunch of catch-up work to do around here.

The Team Issue thread needed an update now that all the parts have been gathered; another holy grail bike sits in my living room awaiting its finishing touches for build 1.0 (The Ridable Bike), so that I can finally take it out for a spin and figure out if the size is even going to work for me. That one really needs its own thread, in order to give what I envision will be a longterm project the justice it deserves, but that also requires a fair amount of time and effort to get started. So, I thought I'd start a new thread for another longterm project instead!

Which is probably just buyers excitement kicking in, as I got lucky this week with another certified classic suddenly getting ticked off the wishlist. Well, hopefully, anyway. It hasn't arrived yet, it's just a frame in a box in the care of UPS right now, but I'm very excited about its impending arrival.

The two bikes now in line for builds are both things I didn't expect to find anytime soon. Not that this one is particular rare, there's loads of amazing versions of it on this forum alone, but I just didn't think one in my size and price range would show up quite so suddenly.

Nor did I expect to come across the perfect stem for it at a local bike swap yesterday, for a bargain price, but there you go! Suddenly the bike is more than just an idea and a folder of photo references on my desktop. It's a real thing; a project underway.

The frame came from a very reputable collector way over there in Nebraska, who was an absolute pleasure-to-deal-with. A real bonafide bike guy, who's currently clearing out some unwanted and amazing bits and pieces from his stash. I couldn't resist making an inquiry and offer, when I saw what looked like a dream bike in a dream size at a great price.

Here it is about to get shipped out:

DSC01797.jpg

Any guesses?

(No, not you Slackboy. You already know.)

I'm sure it's pretty obvious if you've seen some of my more recent posts around the place. And if not, there's a pretty sizable hint taped to the inside of the box...

Last edited:
92-OR.jpeg

More to follow when I see it with my own eyes. Hopefully it'l be here by the time I get back from another little Marin county trip later this week...

I'm very, very excited tho.

I think the main battle is going to be finding me some Race/Composite forks. Ideally the chrome ones, although an all black build could be nice too.

No idea what to do for brakes yet, but I have the rest pretty much planned out in my head already. And happily a lot of that will come off the Marin.

Sadly for the Marin!

I have an idea for what I think might be a nice touch with getting some custom decals done. But I guess we'll see about that later down the line...

I just posted the stem score in the photo thread over on the other forum. It's obviously a little later than the frame, but I don't mind that for now.

I mean, I'm really just copying everyone else's OR's on here aren't I?

Last edited:
S'alright I suppose, but its no Giant Boulder - that's where my heart lies. But seriously Phil, lovely frame and good score. Does the size look right in the flesh?

Race or Race Lite?
Neither, i think it was still called Bontrager Off Road when this frame was made :cool:

S'alright I suppose, but its no Giant Boulder - that's where my heart lies. But seriously Phil, lovely frame and good score. Does the size look right in the flesh?

Neither, i think it was still called Bontrager Off Road when this frame was made :cool:

I think this is probably an early race, OR frames had riveted cable stops on the top tube, different rear canti cable stop with integrated pump peg below, and double bend chain stays. The OR frames didn’t have a sloping top tube either, it’s hard to tell from the photo whether this is the case here.

I think this is probably an early race, OR frames had riveted cable stops on the top tube, different rear canti cable stop with integrated pump peg below, and double bend chain stays. The OR frames didn’t have a sloping top tube either, it’s hard to tell from the photo whether this is the case here.

Thanks for correcting. So the horizontal drop out makes it a '92 Race then?

Back