What shoes do you wear for mountain biking?

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
I still use toe clips and have done for as long as I can remember.
I got some new shoes today, lightweight slip on Slazenger ones.
Not been out yet but they fit well.

Globe skate shoes/Vans trainers for flat pedals.
Shimano AM45 "DX" shoes for SPD pedal days.

Last edited:
Good question.

For years I had an excellent pair of Specialized Rockhopper - and still do. Like these.

They must be 20 years old now and still going strong - and have been through a lot of stuff. And on onZa HOs on all my bikes. Flawless - seriously.

But then I went to flats 'cos of the Grom's DH habit. So Hope & DMR pedals (and bite marks in the shins to prove it) using 5.10s - Impacts. And some 5.10 Freeriders for the jump bike.

What I do remember is buying shoes which fitted well. And then of course, my feet swell when riding. And in the winter that caused serious constriction to my feet. Combined with weeks in ski boots, some of those over-tight, it's not done any favours to my feet. I remember winter rides where I could not feel my feet, and had to warm them in water when I got back. I size up now, used to use 41 but now use 42 or 42.5...and should have done that in the first place.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Most riders, including myself, recommend Five Tens for flats. I got some Freeriders around ten months ago and they're still going strong.

The sole of the Five Tens is stiffer than that of Vans/Converse shoes at this merch, which is helpful for pedaling efficiency and preventing foot cramps. They're also more durable, which comes in handy when bashing your foot to bits. A strengthened toe box is included in some Five Tens.

Last edited:
Something not too formal with a kitten heel?

But more normally, Specialized 2FO clippy shoes on Time MX pedals.

Any trainers with a reasonably stiff sole and a grippy rubber compound. Trainer style walking shoes usually are best.

Latest posts

Back