What replacement canti pads do we all use ?

clockwork davo

98+ BoTM Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
As above chaps, I’ve got a couple of bikes that need replacement pads

Having not purchased any in 2 decades I was wondering what’s currently hot

In years gone by I’ve used standard XT, Madison Aztec’s and koolstops

What can anybody recommend?

Cheers in advance

Davo

Re:

Yeah those ^^^.

I bought a load of them the other year, reckon I'll never need to buy canti pads again for the rest of my life :LOL:

I'm down to my last two sets of those Ritchey pads

I do have a complete NOS set of XT 737 'waiting' for 'something' that will unlikely 'ever' happen

I use whatever I can get my hands on, providing I can stop. I have Koolstop, XT have some Ritchey. Got some non brand ones, I bought a dozen pads similar to koolstop, for peanuts on the bay, which are fine.

Re:

I fitted the blue Ritchey v-brake inserts on the XT BR-M739 brakes on my Clockwork. I also have red Ritchey canti pads on the Royal tourer (ST-X cantis) I bought from LGF.

While the pads seem perfectly decent in normal use, I have found that both bikes suffer from brake fade on long steep descents, the pads having a tendency to lose effectiveness and produce a grinding sound and feel on prolonged use.

To be fair, it is very hilly around here, conditions are not typical. Also both bikes have modernish rims with machined braking surfaces which could be contributing, but my other bikes, which are fitted with various different types of pad do not suffer from this.

I really should try some different pads on the bikes mentioned to check it’s not a coincidence...

But I thought worth sharing my experience.

FWIW I also reckon that the Ritchey pads themselves are just rebranded Fibrax pads. Packaging for mine indicated that they had come direct from Fibrax. Not necessarily a bad thing, have fitted plenty of Fibrax pads in the past without issue...

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":ecbhspl1 said:
I fitted the blue Ritchey v-brake inserts on the XT BR-M739 brakes on my Clockwork. I also have red Ritchey canti pads on the Royal tourer (ST-X cantis) I bought from LGF.

While the pads seem perfectly decent in normal use, I have found that both bikes suffer from brake fade on long steep descents, the pads having a tendency to lose effectiveness and produce a grinding sound and feel on prolonged use.

To be fair, it is very hilly around here, conditions are not typical. Also both bikes have modernish rims with machined braking surfaces which could be contributing, but my other bikes, which are fitted with various different types of pad do not suffer from this.

I really should try some different pads on the bikes mentioned to check it’s not a coincidence...

But I thought worth sharing my experience.

FWIW I also reckon that the Ritchey pads themselves are just rebranded Fibrax pads. Packaging for mine indicated that they had come direct from Fibrax. Not necessarily a bad thing, have fitted plenty of Fibrax pads in the past without issue...

Interesting. Used Aztecs for many years. Will try the blue Ritcheys and Fibrax now to see if they are better.

Re:

Ritchey are fibrax pads, I think.

I use the replaceable v-brake style (but with studs, not bolts) on mine now, save me resetting the brakes when the pads wear out...

You can still buy Coolstop Eagle3 if you want an old school look too.

https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=2&rb=2& for some idea.
and many others around to.

Re:

See post above.
They sell a bit less, same as all the other fibrax etc stuff.

The Magura are fine,
the triple compounds are nice for cantis and v-brake cartridge style.
the led brake lights are fun.
I've not tried the standard fixed studded brake blocks.

Back